Black Animators honored in Hollywood...

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
GeorgeC

Black Animators honored in Hollywood...

Post by GeorgeC » December 16th, 2010, 1:36 pm

Don't know if this gets mentioned on the front page on the News briefs, but here's a link to a PDF listing Black animators recently honored at a ceremony in Hollywood...

http://www.bherc.org/FilmFestivalbook2010Animators.pdf

There are far more Black Americans working in animation than the gentlemen listed here but the guys on this list are among the more prominent and prolific animators out there...

Everybody knows Floyd Norman. The other guys who worked at Disney were obviously darn good artists, too! As were the fellows who've worked elsewhere...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by carlminez » June 2nd, 2011, 10:41 am

What's the point of this thread and what exactly does dot-dot-dot imply?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 2nd, 2011, 12:18 pm

Is there a story with it somewhere where we could get the details of the event?

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 2nd, 2011, 1:45 pm

James,

I really don't know. There's the PDF and all. It's been so many months that I don't remember where I got the link.

Carl --- you're just an annoying pest and contribute nothing to any conversation.
You only replied to be a jerk which I find to be a sign of weak character.

Normally, I'm not that blunt but frankly you asked for it with that constantly negative attitude of yours that peppers any thread you post replies in.

You better check it kid before someone checks it for you in real life...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by carlminez » June 2nd, 2011, 1:58 pm

What on earth? You accuse others of being passive-aggressive and then post comments like this? The worst thing is that this is not the first time you've accused me of bad behavior while not even having the self-awareness to see your own insults.

I don't think its healthy hating someone you met online so furiously. But hey, if you find me annoying then just add me to your ignore list. It's as simple as that. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Black Animators honored in Hollywood...

Post by Whippet Angel » June 2nd, 2011, 7:39 pm

The point of this thread is obvious, carl. Seriously, now you're just being a troll. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Black Animators honored in Hollywood...

Post by carlminez » June 2nd, 2011, 9:37 pm

Okay, this has gone from being annoying, slightly amusing, frustrating and is now just confusing. So please help me by answering these questions.

How exactly do I give the impression of being a troll? Give me an example. Personally, I think that I'm the only one taking this seriously.

Secondly, can you not see the hypocrisy in GeorgeC's comment?

Thirdly, what do you think I have done that could possibly justify him not only insulting me, calling me a jerk and an annoying pest, as well as saying that I contribute nothing positive to the forum (when he is the one who has constantly attacked me with ad hominem), but also coming with actual threats. If there are any rules of conduct on this website (I have yet to find them) he ought to be breaking them.

I just fail to see the rationality in you defending him. Unless you just automatically defend the users you know on this forum.

Also, no the point of this thread is not obvious. "Black animators honored in hollywood..." I thought the ellipsis suggested intentional omission, that he was implying something that he did not feel the need to state. Considering that many forums are permeated with racism, I feared that this was an example of just that, someone disapproving of an event held to honor the achievements of African-Americans in animation. I was being impulsive and I assumed the worst but I wasn’t trolling.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 3rd, 2011, 4:09 am

And what's your point, Carl?

That you can continue to be a jerk to everybody else that posts here and tell them what to think?

You are a PEST... You've never demonstrated anything else to me or anyone you've attacked just for having a different opinion than the one that exists in your head.

There was nothing insidious or mean about the thread I started... I wanted to point something out that was nice. Most of us know about Floyd Norman already. A lot of us who've watched a lot of TV animation were familiar with the late Dwayne McDuffie, too. Believe me, the online community already misses him...! I just thought it was nice to see a couple more names on that list and find out some things about those other guys.

WHY you had to come in and pee on the thread is beyond me.

You have issues with other people here, obviously, and don't know how to play nice. In all the time I've bothered to read threads where you butt in and hijack the conversation, you've never been anything but nasty. I'm asking myself WHY the Mods haven't taken care of YOU....

FYI, you NEVER had to respond to a post that was months old but took it upon yourself to come in and start an argument with me OVER NOTHING... What does THAT say about you???

Seriously, Carl, before you go any further, look at your old posts and ASK YOURSELF, why should anybody care for the tone that I use when I talk to other people and why do I have such a bug in my stomach when someone else has an opinion that I don't share??? These are just movies, for crying out loud, and you don't seem to be able to let anybody else enjoy things you don't like....

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 3rd, 2011, 4:56 am

I just got sent this reported topic note:
Is there a point to this guy being anything but annoying just for annoyance's sake?
Frankly...WTF guys? I'm completely LOST!

I wondered what George had done "wrong" in the first place, and then saw the barrage of abuse being thrown around here. I really couldn't see where the original offending content had come from - and then I noticed the date of George's original post - December 2010!

And Carl is only responding to it NOW!?

Too late, Carl...I'm afraid I have to agree with others here that you are yet again stirring up old threads and attacking other members for no reason. You'll need to stop that - now - and I'm asking other members to refrain from feeding the beast. Don't reply to any leading comments: either report them or wait for us to deal with them.

But from being a friendly, open forum before, this place has seemingly gotten rather rotten recently, and it's mostly down to a few newish members who don't seem to be in step with our less-than-biting approach. There are many other animation boards out there where name-calling and fighting are standard play...but not this one.

Simply put: everyone had better calm down and put a smile on their face. It's summer, for goodness' sake!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 3rd, 2011, 9:11 am

Yikes - I didn't notice the date either. I assumed George had just wrote it when I asked for more details!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by carlminez » June 3rd, 2011, 9:59 am

Ben wrote:I just got sent this reported topic note:
Is there a point to this guy being anything but annoying just for annoyance's sake?
Frankly...WTF guys? I'm completely LOST!

I wondered what George had done "wrong" in the first place, and then saw the barrage of abuse being thrown around here. I really couldn't see where the original offending content had come from - and then I noticed the date of George's original post - December 2010!

And Carl is only responding to it NOW!?

Too late, Carl...I'm afraid I have to agree with others here that you are yet again stirring up old threads and attacking other members for no reason. You'll need to stop that - now - and I'm asking other members to refrain from feeding the beast. Don't reply to any leading comments: either report them or wait for us to deal with them.

But from being a friendly, open forum before, this place has seemingly gotten rather rotten recently, and it's mostly down to a few newish members who don't seem to be in step with our less-than-biting approach. There are many other animation boards out there where name-calling and fighting are standard play...but not this one.

Simply put: everyone had better calm down and put a smile on their face. It's summer, for goodness' sake!
Honestly, Ben, how do you think I would react to someone calling me an annoying pest?
GeorgeC wrote:And what's your point, Carl?
That you behave just as bad, if not worse as you accuse me of behaving, and that your attack (you started the argument on this thread, don’t forget that) was unmotivated and uncalled for. I didn’t even know you were the posted on this thread by the time I posted my first comment here, which, as already explained, was based on a misunderstanding.

Neither do I understand why you would have anything against me in the first place. You keep saying that I’m a pest with a negative attitude, but you’ve failed to give any examples of me coming with insults or personal attacks.

The truth of the matter is that while I keep what some might call a bit of a pessimistic, almost arrogant or seemingly indifferent tone – I never never resort to insults. You do it constantly. That is a statement. If you do not agree with that statement I will provide examples to prove you wrong.
GeorgeC wrote:
That you can continue to be a jerk to everybody else that posts here and tell them what to think?
What are you talking about now? My hatred of Pixar? Is that what this is about? Opinions regarding movies don’t t matter. If I think that everything the animated genre has ever produced is useless then that doesn’t matter either. What does matter is how well we behave and how we treat each other and that’s what we are discussing now.
GeorgeC wrote:
You are a PEST...
Yeah, see that’s kinda what I’m talking about.
GeorgeC wrote:

You've never demonstrated anything else to me or anyone you've attacked just for having a different opinion than the one that exists in your head.
What are you talking about now? Opinions regarding movies or my opinion regarding the degrading tone you, and a few other users, are using when addressing me. If you are half as constructive as you try to give the impression of being then don’t question everything I do on this forum. This is not the first time you’ve commented me.

GeorgeC wrote:

There was nothing insidious or mean about the thread I started... I wanted to point something out that was nice. Most of us know about Floyd Norman already. A lot of us who've watched a lot of TV animation were familiar with the late Dwayne McDuffie, too. Believe me, the online community already misses him...! I just thought it was nice to see a couple more names on that list and find out some things about those other guys.
Do you even read my comments? I just wrote in my reply to WhippetAngel that the reason I asked what the point of this thread was had nothing to do with you. No, I don’t think the thread meant to be mean against me. In fact, as I said before, I didn’t know of your existence prior to my post on this thread.

It was after looking through my post history I noticed that you’ve been going on about my negative attitude, and you still absolutely fail to see the irony in you constantly attacking me and still accusing me of being negative towards others.
GeorgeC wrote:
You have issues with other people here, obviously, and don't know how to play nice. In all the time I've bothered to read threads where you butt in and hijack the conversation, you've never been anything but nasty. I'm asking myself WHY the Mods haven't taken care of YOU....
When somebody wrongly accuse me of something, I make the person in question knows why I think they are wrong. I have no intention of hijacking threads. If you’d rather us discussing this in PM I’d be happy to do that. I just want to sort this out.
GeorgeC wrote:
Seriously, Carl, before you go any further, look at your old posts and ASK YOURSELF, why should anybody care for the tone that I use when I talk to other people and why do I have such a bug in my stomach when someone else has an opinion that I don't share??? These are just movies, for crying out loud, and you don't seem to be able to let anybody else enjoy things you don't like....

Do you care so much about my opinions regarding movies that it stops you from enjoying things you like?

Also, which old posts? Are you talking about that Toy Story 3 thread?

From what I remember, I stated that I didn’t like a movie. And consequently, I was met with personal affronts the likes of which I have never seen on any other forum.

And before you say that I deserve it, I posted that thread on the considerably bigger Pixar Planet Forum as well. I wasn’t met with anywhere near as much hate on that website.

In fact, most people agreed and those who didn’t provided reasonable arguments as to why they don’t. If I say, I think the characters from Toy Story 3 are shallow and simplistic, they didn’t reply saying “well that’s because you are an annoying troll who never contributes with anything”.

If you want a comparison, go check it out.

So before you accuse me of bad behavior, consider how I’ve been met on this forum. And you have to be pretty darn conceited if you honestly think that you can justify your insults with a “you started it being negative about everything”.

Lastly, the sooner you decide to leave me alone the sooner we can leave this rotten conversation behind. Believe it or not but I don’t enjoy it anymore than you do. But don’t leave it just yet. I want you to answer what I’ve written in this post.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 3rd, 2011, 4:28 pm

Actually, you've both had your say, and we need to end it NOW. If you'd like to continue a personal discussion, use private messages--- but be polite. That goes for everyone.

From now on, everyone sticks to topic, respects one another, and we move on.

Thank you.

-The Management