AV Forum Member

Re: Brave

Post by Tristy » June 27th, 2011, 12:54 pm

Official online release of the trailer in better quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYg0VgPy ... r_embedded

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 27th, 2011, 3:40 pm

Everything about the trailer is gorgeous. The way the main character movies, the beautiful sweeping landscapes, everything

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » June 28th, 2011, 1:05 am

What I love most about Pixar's work is that even though it is created in a computer they are always happy for their characters to look 'cartoonish'. They aren't afraid to admit their movie is animated. Unlike Dreamworks, who I also feel try to make their animated world seem real.

Yes I'll admit I was first thrown when I saw the face of the Princess cause I thought wow that doesn't look real. But then straigth away I said 'Hold on, that's cause it isn't real'.

The trailer looks great, and I eagerly wait to hear members of the general public try to say that Pixar is just copying How To Train Your Dragon, with the Scottish accents. The trailer has me anticipating this movie, something that the trailers for Cars 2 and Up did not make me feel.

Onto the characters revealed, I'm getting a strong feeling of a Elizabeth I/Anne Boleyn thing with the Princess and Queen. And is it just me or did the wise woman seem to have walked out of a Miyazaki film?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re:

Post by Ben » June 28th, 2011, 12:24 pm

Bill1978 wrote:I eagerly wait to hear members of the general public try to say that Pixar is just copying How To Train Your Dragon, with the Scottish accents.

And is it just me or did the wise woman seem to have walked out of a Miyazaki film?
I already made a "How To Train Your Gothel" joke...does that count? ;)

A lot of talk about Brave is saying how it's Pixar's most Ghibli-influenced movie yet. Which I'm hoping is a good thing and not an indication that too many weird things are going to happen in it. Then again, maybe this is Pixar's "experiment" movie, to see if a typically Ghibli approach might make more money - sorry - be "more embraced by the audience" if it has a non-arthouse seal of approval on it (unlike the Disney dubs which still go out with Miyazaki/Ghibli's name on them).

Love the comment left after that link to the trailer:
This will be better than Cars 2.
;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Tristy » June 30th, 2011, 1:21 pm

A bit more on the story:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/showbiz/te ... -23237377/

Brother Bear much?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 30th, 2011, 7:41 pm

Also, love how Reece Witherspoon keeps pulling out of Disney animated features for "scheduling reasons". That's the whole point about animated feature voicing: you can do it anywhere, anytime.

They captured a lot of Mel Gibson's John Smith in his trailer on the shoot for The Patriot, for instance, and for some of the characters for The Lion King at various locations.

She could just hop to the nearest recording studio if need be, whenever she wanted. I wonder what's stopping her from committing to one of these things!?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by estefan » July 1st, 2011, 3:56 pm

Ben wrote:They captured a lot of Mel Gibson's John Smith in his trailer on the shoot for The Patriot
Don't you mean Rocky the Rooster? :wink: That must have been one long shooting schedule.

I think the re-casting of Witherspoon was more because Pixar wanted an authentic Scot to play the part, but they said "scheduling conflicts", I guess not to offend her. I mean, what actor is seriously going to pass up voicing a character in a Pixar production? Even Billy Crystal considers passing on Buzz Lightyear as the biggest mistake of his career.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 1st, 2011, 4:11 pm

Reese would've been skilled enough to fake the accent, though.

One little quibble that I have with the film is that Brenda Chapmen is going to be credited as a co-director even though Pixar had her replaced. This is ONLY because they want to stop hearing the complaints about having never had a female director on one of their films. I mean, if that wasn't the reason, why didn't they also credit the "co-director" of Ratatouille once Brad Bird took over?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » July 1st, 2011, 4:55 pm

You know, I was originally going to reply to your comment that Jan Pinkava did get a co-director credit, but looking at the film ending, I only saw him get a story credit. Yet, IMDb does say that he co-directed the film. Odd.

In regards to replacing Witherspoon with Macdonald, it's possible they wanted a more authentic feel like how the sharks and humans in Finding Nemo are voiced by Australians. Not to mention, Julie Walters and Emma Thompson aside, every other announced cast member is Scottish. Would have been strange to have an American thrown in there as the lead.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » July 1st, 2011, 9:10 pm

Pinkava does get co-director credit, but not until the credits start scrolling (either right before or right after the cast list--I don't remember exactly). So I suppose it's kind of a half-credit, since with every other Pixar film, the co-director's credit comes right after the director's. Which begs the question: Will Brenda Chapman's credit come up right after Mark Andrews's does, or will it be in tiny type after the "main" (or non-scrolling) credits?
Last edited by Vernadyn on July 1st, 2011, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by Macaluso » July 2nd, 2011, 8:55 pm

Tristy wrote:A bit more on the story:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/showbiz/te ... -23237377/

Brother Bear much?
If by "Brother Bear" you mean "The only thing similar to Brother Bear is a character gets turned into a bear" then sure i guess

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 3rd, 2011, 5:09 pm

Patriot/Schmatriot...who cares! ;)

The point was that they can record voice over dialog pretty much anywhere, so it's more likely that they wanted a true Scots (or tried Reece and she wasn't Scottish enough) and so quoted the old "scheduling conflicts" to give her a way out.

Yep, Pinkava gets a very small "co-director" credit two thirds through the Ratatouille end credits, though it's up in the air where Brenda will end up. One could assume her to get the "co-director" credit Brad Lewis does on Cars 2, but then he was the main director for years on that picture and now Lasseter has taken credit for that. He doesn't even get a joint "Directed by", just a separate "co-director" credit. I would assume Brenda will get that because she was on it for such a long time, as opposed to Pinkava, who had over half his work rewritten by Brad Bird and who had left the studio, I think, by the time the movie came out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » July 5th, 2011, 7:26 pm

I'll admit reading the sypnosis made me instantly think of Brother Bear and I will admit to being lsightly disappointed that it seems at a basic level we are getting a rehash of the story. Then I remembered the original title for Brave and realised that I should have expected a sotry involving a bear.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 8th, 2011, 4:34 am

And a bow. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » July 9th, 2011, 3:01 am

While the trailer indicates the use of an archer's bow there has been no official announcment of a hair bow which is what I thought the original was about. Also awaiting confirmation that the Princess upsets the bear by bowing to said bear.