Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 8th, 2009, 4:19 pm

Nah,

Nobody could be that cynical about their own movies, Ben...

Could they? :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by FanamI » May 12th, 2009, 11:46 am

I like plots that suggest there was an E.T. influance on some of our ancient civilizations and cultures. I went in with low expectations. Ford, Lucus, Speilberg are all well past their prime.

I thought the ducking into a refridgerator to survive a nuclear blast was unforgivable and the beginning warehouse scene felt like the low quality of a si-fi channel original. But there were some nice throwback dialog and stunts. I thought the movie's crowning acheivement was the spaceship liftoff. Its rare a movie will show something of that scale for that amount of time to really take in the special effect. Its a credit to lucas and speilberg doing something new in the effect category.

AV Founder
AV Founder

The no-doubt long road to...INDY V

Post by Ben » March 5th, 2010, 7:05 am

Finally the talk has ended and some real work is being gotten on with, like it or not:

http://www.joblo.com/harrison-ford-says ... -agreed-on

WARNING FOR STRONG LANGUAGE IN THEIR TALKBACKS :!:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The no-doubt long road to...INDY V

Post by Bill1978 » March 6th, 2010, 1:38 am

I'm open to the idea of a 5th Indy, just as long as they stay away from the aliens and return to proper treasure hunter type stuff. Science fiction just didn't meld well with what was presented in the original trilogy

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 6th, 2010, 3:53 am

Please no! No, not again!

The South Park guys nailed this one right...!

(See Ben, I was a good boy! :) )

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 6th, 2010, 12:25 pm

Well, if they *do* end up making it, they should do so soon. You know, before Harrison is in a wheelchair or something. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

Post by ShyViolet » December 5th, 2011, 5:05 am

According to an interview with Spielberg (linked from this article), Indy 5 is very much going ahead. There is a rumor that Ford thinks Indy should be killed off and pass the mantle off to someone else, ostensibly Mutt Jones, although it's not totally a go for Shia coming back:

http://collider.com/indiana-jones-harrison-ford/65852/

*Some language in comments section
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 5th, 2011, 2:35 pm

Well, Ford did get back on a horse for "Cowboys & Aliens", so he's not ready for the walker yet.

We're only getting a 5 out of Lucas's stubbornness that "We can make a Mutt movie!", which now seems to have been downgraded into a "Apologize for Crystal Skull" movie, in whatever form it takes.
(And seeing as that was the reason we got Skull in the first place, Stubbornness is the Eighth Deadly Sin of Hollywood. :? Apparently, it's more expensive to go actually cancel a project, than to just go down with the ship.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 5th, 2011, 6:16 pm

Well, no again. 5 was being talked about while 4 was shooting.

And Spielberg has more than made up for it in spades with Tintin.

They should let Indy rest now, after three great films and a footnote. And they definitely shouldn't let George Lucas near it. Anything the man has touched since 1997 (you know of what I speak) has been mediocre to baaad...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 6th, 2011, 6:09 pm

I just don't get Lucas. He has so much money at his disposal yet he squanders it on horrible stories like The Phantom Menace and Crystal Skull. Doesn't he care how he's shortchanging the audience, how his ideas treat the audience with so much contempt? The man is not anywhere near stupid, and yet his scripts are routine, passionless and the twisted reflection of all the wonderful moments of his past successes. Doesn't he care about this at all?
Ben wrote:

They should let Indy rest now, after three great films and a footnote. And they definitely shouldn't let George Lucas near it. Anything the man has touched since 1997 (you know of what I speak) has been mediocre to baaad...
Yeah, the Jabba the Hutt addition to Episode IV was just so stupid! :roll: :(
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 6th, 2011, 10:31 pm

ShyViolet wrote:I just don't get Lucas. He has so much money at his disposal yet he squanders it on horrible stories like The Phantom Menace and Crystal Skull. (
Well, you're talking about Crystal Skull like it was one story:
Spielberg and Lucas were handing the project to every single writer they'd "discovered" since the 80's (Chris Columbus after Young Sherlock Holmes, Menno Megyes after Color Purple, Jeffrey Boam after Innerspace, David Koepp after Jurassic Park, Frank Darabont after his 30's-pastiche in "The Majestic")--One gave him a son, one put Indy in the jungle, one was in Roswell, one had Aztec ruins, etc., and what we got was the edited "best-of" anthology highlights of all the six or seven storylines.
When I referred to a 5th as an "apology", I didn't mean Spielberg's apology, I meant they wanted to see what they could do with one coherent script with only one writer this time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 7th, 2011, 1:53 am

Many have said that the script Frank Darabont wrote was considerably better than Crystal Skull, but Lucas vetoed it. Lucas made choices about what he wanted the film to be and how he wanted it to go, and no one forced him to go with the CS script. His job as a producer is to find something the audience will enjoy, instead he gave them a cobbled-together hackjob, only a cut above The Phantom Menace. (In my opinion it really was that bad.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 7th, 2011, 9:59 am

My review pretty much summed up my opinion of Skull, and how!

The Darabont script (it's online) was truly classic Indy. :(

GeorgeC

Indiana Jones BD Quadrilogy set for Fall 2012 release

Post by GeorgeC » March 1st, 2012, 9:02 am

The Indiana Jones' adventures all arrive on Blu ray this upcoming fall 2012.

Here's the trailer courtesy of The Digital Bits:

Still great despite "Close Encounters of the Fourth Kind" in the last feature film...

More details upcoming in the comic cons to follow...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Indiana Jones BD Quadrilogy set for Fall 2012 release

Post by Randall » March 1st, 2012, 11:11 am

Yeah... Really hard not seeing myself getting this. :) Just waiting to hear if the DVD set's fourth disc will be included on Blu (doubt it, based on the Star Wars set). Sounds like there will be some "new" archival stuff on there, though.