Sony and Aardman Move Forward with Two Projects

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Sony and Aardman Move Forward with Two Projects

Post by Dacey » April 27th, 2009, 9:14 pm

Aardman is now at work on two brand new movies:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... 610c60be6b
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 28th, 2009, 4:07 pm

Good news. "Christmas" sounds promising!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 29th, 2009, 8:10 am

And "Pirates!" sounds even more promising!
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » April 29th, 2009, 3:49 pm

Boring.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 29th, 2009, 6:36 pm

Well that was constructive!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » May 14th, 2009, 8:11 am

Aardman with Pirates? I'll see that in a heartbeat!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Sony and Aardman Move Forward with Two Projects

Post by estefan » April 27th, 2012, 4:48 pm

Odd there isn't an individual Pirates! Band of Misfits thread, or an Arthur Christmas one for that matter.

Anyway, I just got back from seeing The Pirates and it was really funny. Classic Aardman wit and so much jokes inserted into every frame, whether the dialogue, the character animation or the backgrounds. Though, interesting enough, at the end of the credits, they have the usual disclaimer that says "the characters are fictional and any resemblance to real people living or dead, etc." But Queen Victoria and Charles Darwin are major characters in it and they were real people...weren't they?

By the way, there's a number of differences between the version of The Pirates playing in North America and the one in the rest of the English speaking world. Anton Yelchin voices the Albino Pirate (and boy, the word "rubbish" sounds really odd when heard with an American accent). I've also read a couple of jokes were toned down and the term "girl guide" was changed to "girl scout." Don't know why they felt the need to do all this. They didn't re-dub voices and tone down jokes in Chicken Run and Wallace & Gromit and those were very successful.

On the plus side, the controversial leper scene is still in there. All they've done is change the word "leper" to "plague." Otherwise, the joke is pretty much the same.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » April 28th, 2012, 5:38 am

The pirates! Was defenitly a hilarious treat. I do agree though the changes were a bit odd....though did make some s light changes to the Wallace and Gromit movie here as well so....
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by TitusTodd » April 28th, 2012, 6:59 am

I've also read a couple of jokes were toned down and the term "girl guide" was changed to "girl scout."
Girl Guides are the UK equivalent of Girl Scouts in the US. I don't know the context in the movie since I haven't seen it yet but I imagine the change was to make more sense to those in the USofA. Looking forward to this one but won't see it until it is out on DVD/Blu-Ray since we limit the number of movies we see in the theater due to how expensive it is.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » May 7th, 2012, 12:59 am

I saw The Pirates! 2 weeks ago. It was either Pirates or The Lorax and I chose Pirates! cause I felt like some British humour. It didn't disappoint me at all. I found it hilarious bioth generally and with the little Science jokes it through out that clearly went over the children in attendance heads. I also liked how no voice was clearly recognisable and took me out of the film and I'll be honest, I had no idea how the plot was going to play out, which is always a plus for a 'children's' film.

Aardman did not disappoint, apart from Wallace & Gromitt (I have no idea why), I have thorughly enjoyed all their feature length movies. There is also something unique about watching stop motion on the big screen in this day and age of computer wizardry, that made me enjoy this movie even more.