DC Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Superman Returns... again!

Post by Ben » July 23rd, 2012, 12:10 pm

I prefer the Costner narration...more heartfelt and true as opposed to Crowe's "Maximus II". ;)

And the "reveal" with the cape shot fit Costner's narration more...listen to the specific line again.

Rand...as big a fan as I am, I can say you're not losing anything by waiting for the big screen: this teaser just isn't that awe-inspiring. Interesting approach (I'm not saying anything or going to "hide" any comments) but it is going to be interesting to see how they fit in those shots of Clark into things.

I'm a bit scared that, yes, we're going to get "Superman Begins"...not so much worried about the tone or (actually a lack of) darkness, but that the story might just be the same over again (my guess is these scenes show Clark finding himself).

Let's face it: if Goyer's big idea was just to say there have been no Superman films previously, that's a little nuts. Donner's movie casts a long, long shadow, although I'd be interested to know what you mean by "the first half hour", Eric, because Krypton takes up the first 25 minutes, and it's the second half hour that has all the Smallville stuff in it. In a brilliant movie, we don't meet Superman until over 50 minutes in.

Until I see more I can't say I'm more excited than I was for Singer's evil film, and look how THAT turned out! :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 23rd, 2012, 2:20 pm

Ben wrote:although I'd be interested to know what you mean by "the first half hour", Eric, because Krypton takes up the first 25 minutes, and it's the second half hour that has all the Smallville stuff in it. In a brilliant movie, we don't meet Superman until over 50 minutes in. (
Depends which cut (the Blu-ray SE was slightly longer than the theatrical, but not as long as the extended TV cut); always thought it was forty minutes before Ned Beatty shows up to ruin the thing.
But back when there were no comic-book movies taken seriously, the kid opening the '39 Action Comics #1 on the desk before the John Williams overture still gives you geek chills. :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 24th, 2012, 3:03 pm

Recut with John Williams score:

:)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 24th, 2012, 9:03 pm

Ben wrote: I'm a bit scared that, yes, we're going to get "Superman Begins"...not so much worried about the tone or (actually a lack of) darkness, but that the story might just be the same over again (my guess is these scenes show Clark finding himself).

Let's face it: if Goyer's big idea was just to say there have been no Superman films previously, that's a little nuts. Donner's movie casts a long, long shadow, although I'd be interested to know what you mean by "the first half hour", Eric, because Krypton takes up the first 25 minutes, and it's the second half hour that has all the Smallville stuff in it. In a brilliant movie, we don't meet Superman until over 50 minutes in.

Until I see more I can't say I'm more excited than I was for Singer's evil film, and look how THAT turned out! :(

IMHO, David Goyer is an awful writer...
Why comic fans think he's great is beyond me; my own experience is that most comic fans barely understand English let alone story construction --- and that's why we have so many hacks in the comic industry now. Ditto for the majority of the film adaptations, too.

Haven't cared for any of the films Goyer's written and his comics have been forgettable.
He's only part of the problem at any rate. You can't blame it all on one person. It's a whole mess of mediocre personnel -- bunch of business types and suck-ups -- who have no business being in creative positions/power of authority that are screwing everything up at DC nowadays. I half-expected this to happen when Warner Bros announced the DC Comics consolidation -- there was going to be little good coming out of that reorganization once the bean counters and their suck-ups at WB took over the company. This was a move that the past DC executive regime tried to stall for well over 20 years according to rumor; they knew what was going to happen when the studio took over and the Hollywood types (Didio, Johns, and yes, even Jim Lee) took over DC. The officers of that regime retired/resigned when the cattle finally got rounded up and the rebranding of the characters began!

Right now, DC Comics' editorial board on Superman the comic series is essentially the same production team that worked on the Man of Steel movie.
That many cooks -- and especially people who have no idea of the history beyond Cliffs Notes (they MAYBE watched one of the Christopher Reeve movies -- or god help us, Superman Returns!) -- doesn't generally lead to anything but mediocrity. There's basically little to no big plan in place... It's all about throwing @#$@ at the wall and seeing what sticks.

The past year of the "new 52" initiative has been uninspiring and put the whole DC Universe into a creative rut as editorial (Dan Didio/Jim Lee/Geoff Johns/studio production staff) tries to figure out WHAT characters still exist and what the history is. In their "inestimable" wisdom, the powers-that-be compressed the DCU into FIVE years of existence and wiped out the vast majority of continuity and stories that existed before.

There is no longer a Golden Age...
There is a general loathing for any MATURE character that's over 30 years old now...
No Justice Society existed to inspire the Justice League...
Batman operated with at least 3 Robin's over 5 years... (Huh?)
The charm and hope the big characters brought (in the past) has been replaced by fear, mistrust, and a general isolation from the population and outright disdain for the people they're SUPPOSED TO BE PROTECTING!

And this is supposed to bring in new readers or attract children????

None of this makes no sense!

The whole initiative was NOT PLANNED OUT anything like well in advance (a project like this should have been a minimum of three years prep, five years being better prep time -- instead it was planned in less than a year with most of the major subplots and history being left blank) and it has had an impact on DC's film projects outside of the (presumably concluding) Batman series.

Meanwhile, Superman is NOT doing well as three creative teams have left the self-titled comic in the past year and the main creative engine (the writer) over on Action Comics is NOT TELLING ANYONE WHAT HE'S UP TO!
Same old story with DC there -- massive egos and lack of communication.

Maybe this upcoming movie will be more cohesive than the comics are now????

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Man of Steel (2013)

Post by Ben » July 30th, 2012, 7:42 am

EricJ wrote:Depends which cut (the Blu-ray SE was slightly longer...)
Haha, Rand...get Eric trying to teach me about Superman: The Movie details! ;)

It doesn't depend on which cut, Eric...if you're watching the SE (actually created for an abandoned 2001 theatrical reissue, not specifically for the BD) then it's even longer before we see Superman fly out of the Fortress Of Solitude. But as far as my original LD of the theatrical movie goes, I do believe it is around 53 minutes before Superman makes his debut, going by the clock counter on that disc.

Dacey wrote:Recut with John Williams score :)
Have to see I was excited to click on this, but ultimately disappointed by the result. I hope we don't get too many of these "wish-fulfillment" things coming out. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I didn't think it really fit. If they'd been able to keep either Costner (my pick) or Crowe's narration intact then it would have been "super", but having Brando back kind of took away from the meshing of old and new and I didn't think it was too cool having him continuing to speak over the Zack Snyder credit. Nevertheless, they did a pretty good job otherwise in timing the music...but I do actually think we should wait and see what Zimmer comes up with. I just hope he really pulls out all the stops and that it is more melodic than his more recent stuff!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 1st, 2012, 1:47 pm

Maybe Spoiler!! (I mean it!)
Wonder woman might show up at end of man of steel!
http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/8 ... n-Of-Steel

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 9th, 2012, 5:18 am

Back to a more pleasant time...

... and possibly the best cover of this song that I've ever heard.

This is the type of moment a new film needs to capture.

I don't mean a shot-by-shot remake or similar scene but the emotion of the scene.

I'm afraid that as clueless as DC is right now -- and as rudderless as WB is with regards to how to do anything but a sequel or remake of the 1978 film -- it might just be better to stick with the home video...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 10th, 2012, 11:53 am

Wow...Princess Jasmine as Lois Lane! :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 11th, 2012, 5:38 pm

First full trailer:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=36002

I'm liking this! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 11th, 2012, 6:30 pm

Me too! Can't wait till next summer! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 11th, 2012, 10:47 pm

Thank goodness they're going in a new direction. I really liked the trailer, and find I'm optimistic this time around. I need something to replace the memory of the last Superman film.

This Superman certainly seems to come from a different place than the Reeve vesion, and that's okay. In the end, it looks like he'll still be the hero I want him to be... as opposed to, say, a deadbeat dad, stalker, idiot who goes to visit a destroyed planet kind of guy.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 12th, 2012, 12:50 am

Randall wrote:...This Superman certainly seems to come from a different place than the Reeve vesion, and that's okay. In the end, it looks like he'll still be the hero I want him to be...
Rather than the hero you deserve? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 12th, 2012, 8:32 am

Right. That's what makes Superman different than Batman, after all. Superman has always been the one to inspire us to be better, so he has to be better than what we "deserve."

(This brings us towards discussing the Christ allegory again, but given that his creators were Jewish, the Moses allegory has always worked better for me.)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 12th, 2012, 6:24 pm

You and Ben are eventually going to get over Superman Returns someday, aren't you? ;)

Waiting for The Hobbit to watch the trailer. Wanna see it on the big screen if I can.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 12th, 2012, 7:10 pm

Maybe someday, Dacey. Maybe someday.