DC Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Man of Steel (2013)

Post by Ben » December 13th, 2012, 3:19 pm

Never! I hate even having it in my collection (twice!) in the Superman movies DVD and BD sets!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » December 22nd, 2012, 8:32 pm

Must say I'm still on the fence with this. I'm not Snyder's biggest fan, though I do think his films can be visually interesting, if stylistically overheated at points. As for Nolan's involvement, I still like his films, but Inception and Dark Knight Rises have fallen a bit for me with repeated viewings. I do think Snyder is a better action director than Nolan, excessive slow-mo aside. Then again, I think Stephen Sommers is a better action director than Nolan.

Their choice to move on from musically from Williams's masterpiece seems to be sound. Listening to Superman Returns, the Williams material (which itself is nowhere near as well-arranged and orchestrated as in the original) only highlights how much John Ottman dropped the ball with his own musical material (though I haven't enjoyed any of his superhero scores, from Superman and X2 to the Fantastic Four). With Singer's return to X-Men, I'm wary of what Ottman will do for Days of Future Past.... Anyway, though I do think a departure from Williams is a good choice, I haven't been impressed with Zimmer since The Thin Red Line (with the exceptions of a few tracks from Pirates 3 and Last Samurai and 160 BPM from Angels and Demons). Better him than Tyler Bates, though.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 27th, 2013, 12:56 pm

Not bad at all! Kinda wish that the guy had used 100% Reeve clips to make it feel more "complete," but that's just me being nitpicky. ;)

http://youtu.be/nKD5OUvF2mg
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 21st, 2013, 6:25 pm

I can't believe it's been seven years since Superman Returns came out. I have a good feeling about the new film and really believe that it will fix the damage done to the character by the last film. Finally, after all these years of false stars, Superman will fly again! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 21st, 2013, 7:20 pm

Oh gosh, I surely hope so.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 21st, 2013, 8:31 pm

I'll believe it when I see it. But I am ready to believe. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 21st, 2013, 10:17 pm

You'll believe... or a fan will cry.

;)

AV Team
AV Team

Re:

Post by Dacey » March 21st, 2013, 10:53 pm

Hey Vi, I know I've probably brought this up before, but...
ShyViolet wrote: Anyway...I saw it over the weekend. I LOVED IT! :D

Trust me, Ben, you will NOT be disappointed.
;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 21st, 2013, 11:12 pm

OMG Dacey that was seven years ago!! ;)
:oops:

OK, so i changed my mind...big deal lol. ;)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 22nd, 2013, 12:24 am

While I don't "love it" these days (pretty sure I said that in my post too from when I first saw it), I'm surprised by how little my opinion of the movie has changed. Granted, I'm more bothered by the problems that I have with it than I used to be--especially the film's overly serious tone and lack of action--, but overall, I still see it as a "decent" flick.

Should I go and hide now? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 22nd, 2013, 5:54 am

Dacey...KNEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLL before Ben!!!

Nah, everyone's entitled to their opinions, naturally. It's just in this case you are wrong. ;)

Rand: that's what I was hinting at but I loved that response! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 22nd, 2013, 9:26 am

I thought James' response was pretty clever too. But MoS is bound to be better than Returns. I just hope we don't see Supes execute Zod in the end.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 22nd, 2013, 10:03 am

This might sound kind off weird but in a way I can't help but wonder what Singer's "sequel that never was" would have turned out like had he been allowed to continue with the franchise. I rememberr him saying that it would be vvery "Wrath of Kahn", and I wonder what that would have turned out like...would Spacey have taken a more proactive and aggressivle "Luthor" approach to the role? Would the "superkid" have been killed or remained? Would we ever find out why Clark left Earth and if he actually did find remains of Krypton? I guess we'll never know. :roll:
Anyway, kind of interesting to note how Singer's career has fared since then...I know his Jack and the Beanstalk film just bombed. Even after evverything he's done to Superman, I sort off hope he gets back to directing X-Men. I actually did like Valkery but X-Men was probably his best work after The Usual Suspects. Maybe he'll use some of the potential he wasted with SR to bring back X-Men (and hopefully explore new kinds of of stories ). I hope so, anyway.

EDIT: sorry about the typos. :(

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 22nd, 2013, 2:42 pm

*Kneels before Ben*

And Vi, for better or for worse, Singer is returning to X-Men. He's taken over the X-Men: First Class "sequel"...unfortunately, it seems as though he's turned it into more or less of a vanity project, essentially making X-Men 4 and "fixing" what he didn't like about X-Men 3 instead. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 22nd, 2013, 3:26 pm

Dacey wrote:*Kneels before Ben*
And Vi, for better or for worse, Singer is returning to X-Men. He's taken over the X-Men: First Class "sequel"...unfortunately, it seems as though he's turned it into more or less of a vanity project, essentially making X-Men 4 and "fixing" what he didn't like about X-Men 3 instead. :(
I won't go into discussions about "How gay-preaching was X2?" Those tend to take over threads.
But after the recent flap about "How gay-preaching was that TV Munsters remake?", at this point, between that, X2, and Returns, I'm going in with the mindset of "What CAN'T Bryan Singer ruin this time? :( "

As for Snyder, he comes just a little TOO comic-fanboy reverential to deliver a solid film for a mainstream audience. Like the convention fan who wants to get you into a discussion of story arcs from the last few years of the print comic, and you just stand there saying, well, you've only just seen the cartoon.
(Which, to be fair, Singer only had with the X-Men series.)