Saving Mr Banks

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Saving Mr Banks

Post by Ben » July 12th, 2013, 7:11 am

So...the trailer for Saving Mr Banks - which comes out this December in the US - appeared last night across the web. The trailer is "poppin" up on many sites, but here's an official Disney one from Australia, hence the release date of February 2014:

Huh.

Personally, I was expecting to see more of the 30 year struggle of the "30 year struggle Walt had to bring PL Travers tales of Mary Poppins to the screen" that the synopsis of the movie suggested. Plus, with the shooting of the movie suspiciously completed a long time ago, allowing for a very long post-production schedule, I figured that it was going to shock and awe us by making Hanks look like a younger Walt for any 1930s or 40s set timeline scenes, which I was anticipating seeing.

I was sold on Hanks as Walt from his announcement, and figured there couldn't be anyone else that might be able to inhabit such an iconic man's character and come out from his shadow to deliver an authentic portrayal. However, I'm very disappointed in the final result: Hanks' Walt is just that: Tom Hanks as Walt Disney. Never does Woody the Cowboy's voice totally transform into Disney's, and even the drawl comes and goes.

Then there's the timing of events: looks here like the entire 30-year history of Walt attempting to make peace with Travers and allow him to make the film has been quashed down to a few-year period: they are seemingly meeting for the first time in what looks like the late 50s or early 60s (with Babes In Toyland in production).

The period detail is authentic, if not always correct, and they do seem to have nailed the 60s office look of the Disney Studios, which you would hope for given the amount of images and documentation they had - although his office isn't exactly like the many photos of it, which is odd. Not sure if there was ever a Walt Disney Productions sign like that outside the front offices either...that wall kind of structure was a more recent thing done in the 1980s (I thought).

I'm quite liking the Shermans, but with Richard still around you know they had to get that right so he wouldn't sue! The same goes for Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews...they're not seen here but I do hope we see them in the movie, or else this is going to be even more limited in scope. I just hope it doesn't rush through the actual shooting or end with the set-up for "shot one, take one".

The title I'd guessed at when it was announced, figuring that Walt would turn to someone during the shoot and say, "Well, I guess that's what it's all about, huh? Saving Mr Banks", which is what I've often thought about the Mary Poppins film when I've seen it again in adulthood: it's not about helping the kids to behave at all, but about Mary Poppins' emotional rescue of their father, and perhaps a child that she might have failed many years before (reading much too much into it!).

Here it's actually Travers that makes that point, although it's the same one. Her interfering during the production is evident, too, and it's here that the film's "battle of wits" looks like it's going to focus upon. I've a feeling Walt is going to end up being "more involved" than he was: once he had the rights then he pretty much left things to his trusted staff of Bill Walsh, the Shermans and others, although here it looks like he's going to have to step in a few times more (I also spotted a Walt caricature that looks like Walt, not Hanks-as-Walt, which they could have Hanked up a bit).

I did like the recreation of late 50s/early 60s Disneyland, with the original frontage (either a redressing of the actual park, a new set or most likely a combination of new set and CG), although the assertion of "who else gets to go to Disneyland with Walt Disney himself" sounds a little isolated to this experience when it's well known he would often take high-profile guests around the park, such as John and Hayley Mills, who had been there with him some years earlier.

Lastly (for now!), "Based on the Untold True Story?" - is that a hint at Travers' own backstory? It must be, since the making of Poppins is well documented, not least by being able to hear a good hour or more of her story meetings with the Shermans on the 40th anniversary CD set.

Without the scope and depth I was hoping for here, I'm concerned that this is going to be *too* light and frothy, like a Disney-fied version of the making of Psycho that was supposed to be in Hitchcock (although that film failed to tell the true story, too). I had high-hopes for this, but feel they've been dashed. Hopefully some more will start to come out to make me a little more excited for it again.

I'll see Saving Mr Banks, but so much of its artistic and creative success rests on Hanks' portrayal of Walt...and I just don't think he's nailed it as well as I had hoped and, to be honest, thought he would. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Saving Mr Banks

Post by droosan » July 12th, 2013, 9:36 am

Ben wrote:Not sure if there was ever a Walt Disney Productions sign like that outside the front offices either...that wall kind of structure was a more recent thing done in the 1980s (I thought).
The sign in the trailer seems to be adapted from the Buena Vista Street gate, on the studio lot's west side. It does look quite a bit different from how it looked in Walt's time (note the teeny-tiny "Walt Disney Productions" sign):

However, The Buena Vista gate does at least exude a 'classy' Hollywood Studio vibe, which could have existed in the late-1950s -- quite unlike the studio's gaudy north gate, facing Alameda Avenue (note that in the 1959 view, only the water tower -- with its simple plain text -- identifies the studio to passers-by):

These gates -- along with a 'Mickey'-themed iron fence enclosure -- were Eisner-era additions, as you'd noted.

------------------------------------------

As for authenticity: not a single cigarette, anywhere in sight..! :twisted:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 12th, 2013, 2:13 pm

From what I'd heard I think the film is going to focus a lot more on the flashbacks than the trailer made it seem.

(On my phone at the moment so more thoughts soon)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ibrmacf » July 17th, 2013, 4:23 pm

I too am quite disappointed with Tom Hanks' portrayal of Walt Disney. The voice just isn't right, nor does he seem to capture the warmth that Walt had. Hopefully, my feelings will change after I watch the movie.

Emma Thompson seems to give an amazing performance as P.L. Travers and I quite, surprisingly, like the portrayals of the Sherman Brothers.

And I wonder why this film is rated PG-13 for "unsettling images" or whatever. Well, we'll see.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 17th, 2013, 9:49 pm

I never understood the Hanks casting--- it never seemed like a good idea to me. The guy just doesn't embody Walt in any way. Sure, he's a nice guy and a good actor, but he's quite different from Walt Disney.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 18th, 2013, 9:56 am

Maybe I'm in the minority, but all I want is a Walt-vibe. I'd be very unhappy with a Walt-impersonator. Hanks has the vibe, in the trailer and to be honest as a person.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 18th, 2013, 6:18 pm

We already have more professional Walt voice-imitations on the Disney DVD's (eg. Bambi), this's just a historical acting job for a movie. And Hanks at least said he did his homework by researching old film interviews with Diane at the family museum, so he knows that the real Walt could be a little straight-talking and cantankerous at times.

I'm also burned on "Hitchcock" though (yeesh!), and can spot all the "Great film geniuses and their ideas" cliche's, so I'm just hoping they don't sentimentalize the issue of "Walt and PL reached common ground on their father issues" too sweetly at the end. The real Travers wasn't "won over" at the end, and complained about the movie to the last, although the movie will try to stick up for The Power of Disney. :roll:

Still, hope this gets all the Mary Poppins urges out of Emma Thompson's system for a while, and she won't want to do a third nasty, unwanted Nanny McPhee. Nobody needs that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » July 24th, 2013, 6:44 am

Even though I feel the trailer gives perhaps a little too much away with the overall plot or end point. I am actually really keen to see this movie unfold on screen. I have no real opinion of Hanks as Disney cause I don't really know Disney as a man that well. Thompson seems really great and any trailer that can make me laugh (of the good kind) out loud has done it's job in my opinion. These are the kind of movies I wish Hollywood would make again, This has potential to be a big hit and there doesn't look like an explosion in sight, or pointless CGI, or loud thumping bass to be hear. Of course this could just be a sign that I am officially no longer the demographic of Hollywood, so I will sit in the corner sip on my cup of tea while moaning about the good ol days of my youth.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 29th, 2013, 8:08 pm

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 31st, 2013, 10:03 am

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 13th, 2013, 7:04 am

Description of more scenes (from D23).

http://www.slashfilm.com/saving-mr-bank ... ic-at-d23/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 14th, 2013, 8:58 am

Film to close London BFI film festival:

http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sav ... don-602628

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 4th, 2013, 8:23 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 8th, 2013, 4:20 pm

Interview with BJ Novak: (Robert Sherman) Watch out for popups! :?

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/171334 ... anks.jhtml

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ibrmacf » September 8th, 2013, 4:46 pm

I pray that with all the hype that this movie is giving out that it doesn't disappoint :( !