BOO

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

BOO

Post by James » June 18th, 2013, 12:43 am

Might as well start this one! Here's a logo and some news!

http://blogs.indiewire.com/animationscoop/boo-logo

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: BOO

Post by ShyViolet » October 31st, 2013, 5:35 pm

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ps169 » January 8th, 2014, 2:08 pm

James wrote:Might as well start this one! Here's a logo and some news!

http://blogs.indiewire.com/animationscoop/boo-logo
Looks like a good one - BOO! Any other links to share?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 15th, 2014, 3:21 pm

First look at the characters...more typical DW designs. Not too impressed. :(

http://www.slashfilm.com/boo-first-look/
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 15th, 2014, 10:51 pm

Can't say I'm too excited about this one. Yawn. Kiddie film, which is okay, but not for me.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 16th, 2014, 12:40 pm

Yes, it's unfortunately a yawn from me too. Only Murray's vocal might be able to lift it, so we'll see from the trailers. I just can't but help think DreamWorks is stuck in such a major rut right now: it's all franchises and sequels or things with aliens, ghosts, monsters, etc...

Where is the wit and majesty of Antz, Prince Of Egypt, Road To El Dorado and Shrek...? :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 16th, 2014, 12:54 pm

Gone. Now it's all about Netflix and how many YouTube channels they can come up with. Still looking forward to Panda but not expecting anything revolutionary.
Wonder what Spielberg and Geffen think about what DreamWorks Animation has been reduced to?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 16th, 2014, 11:41 pm

DWA is a sad shell of its former self. Even though they've got many films in their library and in development, the inspriation is really slipping. There was so much promise in those wonderful, early films. And now... just sad. Katz's predisposition to packaging (expensive!) product rather than trusting creatives is rearing its ugly face. There are still LOTS of brilliant, creative people at DWA, but they're not at the top.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 17th, 2014, 12:14 pm

No complaints from me about DreamWorks right now, as I still believe How to Train Your Dragon 2 was an exceptional film. Franchise film or not, it took some major risks storywise (which unfortunately seemed to scare some parents off), so if they need to produce "safe" films in order to make stuff like that happen, so be it. :)

Still, they should go back to two movies a year. Would make things easier on everyone over there.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » October 12th, 2014, 5:38 pm

I try to be as optimistic as possible, but it must be said that DreamWorks Animation is really in a rut right now, and doing an animated version of R.I.P.D. just doesn't sound promising. While The Croods was pretty good, and How To Train Your Dragon 2 was actually really well done (aside from some problems in the finale), the past two years just haven't been good to the company quality wise. Like Randall said, DWA just isn't what it used to be.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » November 18th, 2014, 8:14 am

BOO has now been delayed to another, unconfirmed release date;
http://deadline.com/2014/11/bureau-of-o ... 201287453/
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 18th, 2014, 9:13 am

With only a year to its release I can't see that BOO has been cancelled altogether, which is what some more of the alarmist people around the web are suggesting (and, to be fair, with good reason considering DreamWorks' previous moves like this), but I imagine it could be re announced for next fall, as a Halloween title.

If not, then the movie is in big trouble with likely a rewrite on the cards, which could then put it in jeopardy. DWA is in such turmoil right now that given the right circumstances the whole thing could just fold up and be a write-off to the company, less expensive than actually making and releasing the movie! Like I say, I can't see that happening in this case, but it's another move that demonstrates just how shaky ground DWA is on at the moment.

Personally, I don't think things are being run very well. They have all those Classic Media properties and aren't doing anything with them. The best thing that could happen now would be for JK to sell or merge with a character content company. Hasbro was actually such a good fit I worry if the company is now becoming aimless.

The really sad thing is that, even with what's going on now, no-one want to seem to touch it, even though it's vulnerable and open to a takeover...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 19th, 2014, 9:53 am

Apparently the story just wasn't coming together:

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... h.html?m=1

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 19th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Oh, okay...so we're leaning back on the old "creative issue" again. Maybe the movie is doomed after all? Although there's been a whole lot more already put out on BOO already, it's quite possible this could go the way of Me And My Shadow if the toy and happy meal type deals are not already sewn up. If that's the case it could still be cheaper for DWA to cancel the film and pay any penalties than "have" to finish it and release another product that further damages their reputation.

Speaking of which...could Disney have been the ones to influence the calling off of the Habro deal? More over in the DreamWorks thread...

viewtopic.php?p=84051#p84051

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » December 13th, 2014, 4:38 pm

FOX has moved their Summer 2015 feature Paper Towns to BOO's June 5 date, which all but guarantees the movies moving. However, they haven't shifted BOO from that date yet, making me think they're waiting to find it a new release date home before announcing it's delay.