Interstellar

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Interstellar

Post by Dan » May 16th, 2014, 11:49 pm

The trailer for the next Christopher Nolan epic has been posted.

Much like with Inception, Nolan has been keeping mum about the true extent of the story. Aside from what clues are presented in the trailer, all that is known is that it involves the discovery of a wormhole and a team being put together to investigate it.

The film features an ensemble cast headlined by recent Academy Award winner Matthew McConaughey. It will also star Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Bill Irwin, Ellen Burstyn, Michael Caine, Casey Affleck, Topher Grace, John Lithgow, David Gyasi, Wes Bentley, Mackenzie Foy, David Oyelowo, Elyes Gabel, Leah Cairns, William Devine, and Matt Damon.

The release date is November 7, 2014.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Interstellar

Post by Randall » May 17th, 2014, 12:53 am

I'm intrigued, but as I was not a fan of Inception or The Prestige, I'll remain cautious in my anticipation.

Buzz Bumble

Post by Buzz Bumble » May 17th, 2014, 12:59 am

Lord Akiyama wrote:... all that is known is that it involves the discovery of a wormhole and a team being put together to investigate it.
Ah, so it's a Stargate knock-off. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 17th, 2014, 9:38 am

Twister-meets-Contact-meets-Armageddon-meets-Gravity-meets-2001...

...with a great, gaping (plot) hole in the middle of it...! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 17th, 2014, 9:49 am

I've not seen Gravity yet (although I probably should before I see this for the sake of comparison), but based solely on the two films' trailers, this one looks much more impressive. How much you wanna bet that Interstellar is the better film but doesn't get nearly the amount of money or acclaim as Gravity did? Sadly, that kind of scenario (if I'm right and that's what happens) seems to be par for the course these days.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 17th, 2014, 2:08 pm

I have no idea--and I say this as a very genuine fan of the director--why "Nolanites" are already declaring this "the best movie of the year by far" and "one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time" when they literally know nothing about the film at this point.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure it will be impressive. But after the JAW-DROPPING Gravity last year, it's going to be very hard for this film to have the same kind of impact.
Last edited by Dacey on May 17th, 2014, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 17th, 2014, 2:12 pm

Dacey wrote:I have no idea--and I say this a very genuine fan of the director--why "Nolanites" are already declaring this "the best movie of the year by far" and "one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time" when they literally know nothing about the film at this point.
But he's a GENIUS! And EVERYTHING he makes is good!
It's GOOD when he can't understand comic books to save his life, and when he plagiarizes anime, he makes it BETTER! :lol:

(...He's the Tim Burton for fans who want to feel Smart.)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » May 17th, 2014, 2:35 pm

That's part of the joy I get from watching Nolan's films. I have no real firm set idea of what I'm getting myself into until the movie plays out before me. His method of storytelling is the kind that leaves me in awe from start to finish.

I do agree, though, that trying to make a fantastic, human-drama space epic will be tough, even for Nolan, after Gravity.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 5th, 2014, 9:36 pm

Check out the size of the 70mm film!

http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments ... erstellar/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 6th, 2014, 6:26 pm

Yep, James...70mm is big!

Best. Movie. Format. Ever.

Those prints are going to look awesome. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 6th, 2014, 10:10 pm

Early reviews suggest the typical Nolan film: Ambitious, pretentious, frequently great, poorly plotted and paced,and ultimately unsatisfying and frustrating.

I'm not a big Nolan fan, but of course I will have to see it. Like Gilliam and the Wachowskis, at least he's ambitious and interesting.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 7th, 2014, 12:43 am

I've loved everything Nolan has done so far and have been looking forward to this for a long time. Definitely ambitious and interesting. But unfortunately....
...it was a little too Shyamalan-esque for me.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 7th, 2014, 1:34 pm

Nolan impresses and frustrates by equal measure, but I liked Contact and Gravity, so this is one I'll go see (next Tuesday for me). Interesting that they all have one-word titles!

And I don't know if you saw, Rand, but Ridley Scott is bringing 3001 to SyFy as a miniseries...oooh!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 7th, 2014, 11:21 pm

3001? Wow. Neat. 2010 (the movie) turned out pretty well. I have 3001 sitting right here on my desk, but haven't read it yet. I'm sure I'd be interested in a Scott adaptation, though.

Waitaminute! What about 2061?!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 8th, 2014, 12:05 am

I will say one of the best things about Interstellar was it trusted the audience's intelligence and didn't dumb any of the science down. You know what I mean... that thing movies do where they talk about some concept like relativity and then have someone explain it in simple terms to another character in the room ("imagine this apple is the universe...")!