[Parody] Doctor Who by Disney

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
Buzz Bumble

[Parody] Doctor Who by Disney

Post by Buzz Bumble » June 20th, 2014, 9:49 pm

What If Disney Made An Animated Doctor Who Movie?
Would the House of Mouse be able to squeeze every Doctor into a single animated film? Artist Stephen Byrne imagines what that movie poster might look like.

You can see the full-sized image at Byrne's Facebook page. He also has a rather cheeky response for folks complaining about the inaccuracies in his illustration.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: [Parody] Doctor Who by Disney

Post by ShyViolet » June 20th, 2014, 9:53 pm

Loooove it!!! :D
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » June 21st, 2014, 12:40 am

Saw this lovely piece in this funny article about folks "Disney-fying" other properties.

My favorites are from Fernando Mendonca and Anderson Mahanski, together as Combo Studio, and their illustrations to Game of Thrones.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 21st, 2014, 4:13 am

Shame about the question mark but great putting John Hurt's War Doc in there...lovely! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 21st, 2014, 4:52 am

Why is Patrick Troughton made to look like Weirdly Gruesome from the Flintstones??
I'm not even going to ask about the short Tom Baker.

(And you can tell it's a New-series fan, when....the female Companion is the "star" of the show, and she's just found her "dream-date". :roll: )

Buzz Bumble

Post by Buzz Bumble » June 21st, 2014, 6:38 pm

The "female star of the show" is probably pulled over from the Disney side of the parody ... Snow White, Beauty, Ariel, etc. A good proportion of Disney movies have female stars.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » June 23rd, 2014, 10:38 pm

To be fair, the vast majority of the Doctor's companions are female. Rarely is it ever him and just another male. I think the only times that ever happened were Adric (during the final season of the Fourth Doctor) and Wilfred Mott (in "The End of Time").

Which reminds me of this lovely piece: http://mimi-na.deviantart.com/art/Docto ... s-46247500 :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 23rd, 2014, 11:05 pm

That's pretty cute. :)

Buzz Bumble

Post by Buzz Bumble » June 24th, 2014, 12:34 am

The Disney-fied image might have made more sense with Clara since she's the only companion (so far) to have visited all regenerations fo the Doctor ... but then Amy is the one who wished for the raggedy man to come back.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 24th, 2014, 7:33 am

Lord Akiyama wrote:To be fair, the vast majority of the Doctor's companions are female:
Yes, but back in the days before Billie "I'm the show, I'M the show!" Piper, the Doctor never went time-clubbing with his "dates", and wasn't "The hottest trans-dimensional guy a girl looking for a little fun could hook up with!"
The companions were either orphan protege's, like Adric, Jamie, Leela, Zoe and Ace, or annoying unwilling hitchhikers by accident, like Tegan, Peri, Sarah Jane, Barbara & Ian, or the first Romana. Oh, maybe there was a little "chemistry" to keep things funny, and the partings were sentimental after a season or two, but you have only to watch Sarah Jane's farewell on the show to see just how "romantic" the companions ever got with the Doc.

(Of course, that was back when 10-yo. kids of both sexes, but mostly boys, watched the Classic series.
You know that's not allowed today, on network or cable.)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » June 24th, 2014, 10:26 am

Some would argue that it started with Grace Holloway since she was the first to smooch the Doctor. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 24th, 2014, 12:52 pm

I totally agree Eric...the platonic nature of the traditional Doctors and their companions is pure Doctor Who. The whole romance thing particularly with Rose was ridiculous, as I've said before. Maybe with a much older Doctor now they'll finally wise up and throw away the adolescent quality that Doctor Who has adapted since 2005.

For some reason Eight kissing Grace doesn't bother me as much...I don't agree with it but even in his brief time as an on-screen Doctor he had a wonderful charm spliced with an alien quality that the previous Doctors also had.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 24th, 2014, 3:37 pm

Again, the whole Classic idea--at least once they got past Jon Pertwee's Dr. Quatermass into the Tom Baker era--was that the Doc was basically Sherlock Holmes: That odd petulant meddling fellow with the strange habits no one ever quite got along with, except for his loyal Watson who was the only one who understood his particular ways of seeing things. Holmes would always try to teach his assistant his methods ("Tell me, Watson, what do you observe about this?"), but Watson would still be baffled by reacting to his odd observations the way we would.
Oh, and of course, the Scotland Yard inspector who took the ungraceful king-and-country approach to solving the problem, but was open enough to accept the detective's unusual help once in a while, especially when it came to dealing with plots by the Evil Unstoppable Mastermind.

(Now, if they want to create a will-they-won't-they "relationship" and turn it into a female-audience Elementary, that's all well and good, but....)
ShyViolet wrote:Maybe with a much older Doctor now they'll finally wise up and throw away the adolescent quality that Doctor Who has adapted since 2005.
(Well, at least with Russell T. Davies no longer on the show after the third season, they've stopped casting hunky skinny twinks as the Doc.
Maybe that means we'll finally stop getting Judi Dench-like old female Scary-Poppins as the villains of the week.) :roll:

Buzz Bumble

Post by Buzz Bumble » June 24th, 2014, 5:19 pm

EricJ wrote:Yes, but back in the days before Billie "I'm the show, I'M the show!" Piper, ...
Technically she was the show because Christopher Eccelstone was as useless as a wet paper bag (and had just as much acting ability and personality as one).

Eric wrote:
ShyViolet wrote:Maybe with a much older Doctor now they'll finally wise up and throw away the adolescent quality that Doctor Who has adapted since 2005.
(Of course, that was back when 10-yo. kids of both sexes, but mostly boys, watched the Classic series.
You know that's not allowed today, on network or cable.)
The show has always been aimed at kids, mainly boys in the roughly the 8-14 year age group. The only things that has changed (apart from the quality of the special effects) is that those original viewers are now adults and by some crazy insanity many of them believe that the TV show should have "grown up" as well ... in which case they should expect to see "grown up" versions of Barney and Teletubbies in about 20 years time. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 25th, 2014, 2:01 am

Buzz Bumble wrote:The show has always been aimed at kids, mainly boys in the roughly the 8-14 year age group. The only things that has changed (apart from the quality of the special effects) is that those original viewers are now adults and by some crazy insanity many of them believe that the TV show should have "grown up" as well ... in which case they should expect to see "grown up" versions of Barney and Teletubbies in about 20 years time. :roll:
I don't know what the Kiwis were doing, but in the US in the Pertwee-Baker 70's, it was shown weeknightly at 7:30 or 11:30pm on the same obscure PBS stations that had discovered Monty Python, and few 8-14 yo. kids ever watched it because it looked too cheap and silly.
In the US, this show was born Cult, and those of us who grew up in those days still subscribe to Chicks Can't Do Cult. :wink: