Tim Burton's live-action Dumbo

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Tim Burton's live-action Dumbo

Post by Dacey » July 8th, 2014, 4:07 pm

Because EVERYONE was asking for this!!!

http://collider.com/dumbo-remake/
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Yes, they are working on a live-action Dumbo

Post by James » July 8th, 2014, 4:19 pm

ugh

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 8th, 2014, 4:29 pm

Disney tends to believe their own publicity, and create sequels/spinoffs to cash in on the "trend" of the movie they haven't finished filming or put in theaters yet.
Here, they want to cash in on Jungle Book's smash following on Maleficent and Cinderella's hit success in theaters...Yeah, didn't you remember reading about that in 2015's newspaper? :roll:

Buzz Bumble

Post by Buzz Bumble » July 8th, 2014, 5:22 pm

To quote Lost in Space's Doctor Smith: "The pain, oh, the pain!".
(That's the original, not the hopeless remake rubbish.)

Whoever came up with this idea is the Dumbo! :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 8th, 2014, 5:32 pm

Couldn't have said it better. :)

I don't think even Eisner would have gone this far (and this is coming from someone who appreciates the positive things he did. Iger is in many ways worse than Eisner was, but no one makes a peep because he bought Pixar. He's done some positive things but you can't compare it to the good things Eisner did, even with all his flaws. Someone should finally reign Iger in, at least in my opinion.)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 8th, 2014, 6:12 pm

Buzz Bumble wrote:To quote Lost in Space's Doctor Smith: "Oh, the pain, the pain!".
(That's the original, not the hopeless remake rubbish.)
(Well, he did say it in the remake, just not in the same context.)
ShyViolet wrote:I don't think even Eisner would have gone this far (and this is coming from someone who appreciates the positive things he did. Iger is in many ways worse than Eisner was, but no one makes a peep because he bought Pixar. He's done some positive things but you can't compare it to the good things Eisner did, even with all his flaws. Someone should finally reign Iger in, at least in my opinion.)
So Eisner determining that the entire studio should live in fear of Shrek 2 was a good thing?...Oh, wait, look who I'm talking to. :P

Here, it's just Disney spending their Maleficent money on a "new trend", believing that Tim Burton's Alice is STILL as popular as it was four years ago. Nothing could be, but TBA even less so.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 8th, 2014, 6:38 pm

EricJ wrote:
ShyViolet wrote:I don't think even Eisner would have gone this far (and this is coming from someone who appreciates the positive things he did. Iger is in many ways worse than Eisner was, but no one makes a peep because he bought Pixar. He's done some positive things but you can't compare it to the good things Eisner did, even with all his flaws. Someone should finally reign Iger in, at least in my opinion.)
So Eisner determining that the entire studio should live in fear of Shrek 2 was a good thing?...Oh, wait, look who I'm talking to. :P

Here, it's just Disney spending their Maleficent money on a "new trend", believing that Tim Burton's Alice is STILL as popular as it was four years ago. Nothing could be, but TBA even less so.
I think most people who've read about Disney in the 80s and early 90s are aware of the things he did, yes, even before he "lived in fear of Shrek 2"--whatever that means. Yes, he was desperate to keep up with Pixar but that was only towards the end of things, and if you look at the situation you can't completely blame him, with all the accolades Pixar was getting. Competing with Pixar was his goal, DreamWorks much less so.

As has been said in books, articles, Waking Sleeping Beauty and even the very one-sided DisneyWar, it was a "perfect storm of people and circumstances"--Wells, Katzenberg, and yes, Eisner. Maybe you should read up on this in books like Storming the Magic Kingdom, The Disney Touch as well as many, many articles from the 80s and 90s. Eisner was a flawed person but he was also a force, and without him there would have been no Renaissance. I won't go into this more because it's already been said many, many times.

Also, please don't attack me again the way you just did. :(
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

Buzz Bumble

Post by Buzz Bumble » July 8th, 2014, 9:21 pm

Besides, they've already made the live-action "remake" / "reboot" version: Operation Dumbo Drop. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 10th, 2014, 6:03 pm

This fills me with dread. Not just that they're remaking Dumbo, but that it's going to have a cutesy family angle to it. Now, I actually loved the "live-action" Charlotte's Web, but I don't want to see a "Charlotte's Elephant", even a flying one (and, I just hope, it's not a mechanical robot one that can also become a car...) :roll:

Buzz Bumble

Post by Buzz Bumble » July 10th, 2014, 9:36 pm

The subtitle can be "The White Elephant". ;)
(Definition: White Elephant)

... it's not a mechanical robot one ...
Which reminds me, there are also plans to remake Short Circuit - "Johnny Five is ... turning in his grave". :(

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 10th, 2014, 11:22 pm

They already remade Short Circuit. It was called WALL-E. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

Buzz Bumble

Post by Buzz Bumble » July 11th, 2014, 2:22 am

I thought it was called I, Robot. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 11th, 2014, 9:40 am

Lol! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 11th, 2014, 7:47 pm

Nah, was definitely WALL-E...he's Johnny Five's descendent if ever I saw him.

Sonny was more what Sony and Apple's robotic lovechild would look like!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 11th, 2014, 9:10 pm

Well, that was the idea, y'see:
I, Robot wasn't really Isaac Asimov's (it was an original script for which the studio had to buy the name off of Asimov's estate, when they found out the Three Laws weren't public domain), and the writers later title-justified the non-Asimovness by suggesting that Sonny was one of the Apple-like line of personal "iRobots". ( :roll: )

(And this has nothing to do with Dumbo--which, like Favreau's "Magic Kingdom", I'm guessing will be one of the projects guaranteed to be dropped if/when Jungle Book or B&B stalls or Cinderella ends the trend--but it's a lot more interesting.)