Big Hero 6

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Big Hero 6

Post by ShyViolet » August 13th, 2013, 6:41 am

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » May 24th, 2014, 1:22 am

I know the link is on the main page, but the teaser is up. Reminiscent of The Incredibles teaser. I wouldn't be surprised if, like the Frozen teaser, this has little to do with the actual movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 24th, 2014, 1:32 am

Very little. Like, they don't even suggest the other Big Hero 4.

(Disney-proper's inherited Pixar's teaser ability to turn their trailers into whimsical out-of-context Pixar shorts, without telling everyone else too much to rip off, and giving us enough of a sense of who the characters are despite how funny they look on the poster.
If you told me that a Disney movie had a happy comedy-relief snowman that could rearrange its body parts, it probably wouldn't have sold me as much as the Olaf/Sven teaser.)

Still, it's so cute, that it, well, DOES answer the question that prompted the movie, namely "What would it look like if Pixar did a Marvel movie, like they did the Incredibles?"
Well, it would probably be quirky, have poor lil' underdog-dreamer heroes, and have lots of funny dialogue-free gags...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 25th, 2014, 5:14 am

I think most people are getting an Incredibles vibe from this, which is no bad thing. Biggest surprise is how flippant it looks and that there isn't any Marvel reference. The logo would be one thing (and too much emphasis, I think), but not even a "from the pages of Marvel" line? I guess they want to sell this as a "new" property without being too beholden to the comics...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 25th, 2014, 10:59 am

As a Marvel property, it's awfully obscure. Way more so even than Guardians of the Galaxy.

I'm a comics guy, but even I had to look the team up on Wikipedia to find out where the heck they came from--- an Alpha Flight story, which led to a miniseries where they teamed with the X-Men's Sunfire. And that was in 1998! Obviously someone involved with the film took a liking to that miniseries way back then.

Still, surprising they're not pushing the Marvel angle yet.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 25th, 2014, 3:05 pm

Randall wrote:As a Marvel property, it's awfully obscure. Way more so even than Guardians of the Galaxy.
I'm a comics guy, but even I had to look the team up on Wikipedia to find out where the heck they came from--- an Alpha Flight story, which led to a miniseries where they teamed with the X-Men's Sunfire. And that was in 1998!
And even the miniseries was just a stylistic "American manga" experiment that all the comic-book companies were doing back then--
But, since it was just a new flash in the cultural pan back then, and most of the writers/artists and a good section of the fans weren't that deeply into anime and manga culture in 1998 beyond just neato-discovering it, the "tributes" to manga were usually wildly overdone on the Teen Titans "cute big eyes and shouting challenges" factors and backhandedly parodying 60's and 80's Japanese references.

(Ohh, the days when you tried to tell someone you were an anime fan, and the first thing you heard was "Oh, I remember Gigantor!")
Obviously someone involved with the film took a liking to that miniseries way back then.
Let's see, could Lasseter have looked at all the Marvel choices and just happened to pick an out-of-canon-context story with classic J-culture influences? Nahh, couldn't be, he's not the type...Probably never even watches anime. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » July 11th, 2014, 10:32 am

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 31st, 2014, 10:21 pm

Just saw GofG and before hand there was a Big Hero 6 trailer (the current one with Baymax and the tape dispenser). But they added a Marvel reference in I think for the first time. Maybe just "synergy" with Guardians and not a new strategy though.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » July 31st, 2014, 10:29 pm

Big Hero Six was huge at Comic Con. I just barely managed to get into the panel and the clips they showed were great (got my picture taken with director Don Hall and star Ryan Potter). It was impossible to get the Baymax figure as Disney only had a limited number as folks were RUNNING to the booth to beat the cut-off.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 2nd, 2014, 8:08 am

I'm surprised that, even without the logo, there's not a "from the pages of Marvel Comics" kind of line in the marketing.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 25th, 2014, 6:23 pm

New (and final?) trailer...

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » September 25th, 2014, 7:21 pm

Umm where is the singing? Why won't Disney ever put singing into the trailers? Why are they still ashamed of making musicals even after the success of Frozen? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 25th, 2014, 8:59 pm

It's a musical?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 25th, 2014, 10:01 pm

Bill1978 wrote:Umm where is the singing? Why won't Disney ever put singing into the trailers? Why are they still ashamed of making musicals even after the success of Frozen? ;)
Yeah, why doesn't it have good songs in it, like Wreck-It Ralph did? :P
("S-u-g-a-r, jump into your racing car...")

...Oh, wait, that one didn't exist.
Every fangirl knows, Disney jumped directly from Tangled to Frozen, to provide progressive and inspiring role models for our daughters, and celebrate the freedom, spirit and independence of Wicked fangirls. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » September 26th, 2014, 4:04 am

No Randall I was just in a facetious mood this morning.