2014 San Diego Comic Con

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Team
AV Team

2014 San Diego Comic Con

Post by Dan » July 13th, 2014, 3:38 pm

It's that time of the year. We're less than two weeks away from the big boy and the programming schedule has been announced. Here are some of the highlights.

Preview Night will featuring the full pilot screenings of forthcoming Warner Bros. shows The Flash, Constantine, and iZombie along with the premiere of a new episode of Teen Titans Go!

Thursday

- Jack is back! With 24 back on the air with Live Another Day, Kiefer Sutherland will drop by to discuss the return of the hit drama.

- Betty White will be at Comic Con, participating in a panel celebrating legends of TV. The panel will also be screening a preview of an animated episode of White's show Hot in Cleveland.

- Apollo and Apollo reunite as Richard Hatch and Jamie Bamber team up for a look at what's coming up in the Battlestar Galactica universe, including the latest of the proposed film version.

- Steve Purcell is directing the next Toy Story special, Toy Story That Time Forgot, and will be screening the first look at Comic Con along with a look at how it is developed and made.

- As noted on the front, DreamWorks will be bringing in Benedict Cumberbatch to help promote Penguins of Madagascar. But will he be doing more than that?

- Sony will be presenting two films. For the first, Jack Black is returning to talk about playing author R.L. Stine in the upcoming film version of Goosebumps. Then, there will be a presentation on the upcoming Adam Sandler film "Pixels" with a chance for an attendee to be a part of the film.

- John DiMaggio hosts a panel looking at what scenes from his documentary "I Know That Voice" didn't make it in. He will be joined by veteran voice director Andrea Romano and superstar voice actors Fred Tatasciore, Rob Paulsen, and Dee Bradley Baker.

- Jeff Bridges is back in town for a look at this new sci-fi thriller The Giver.

- Director Don Hall will be providing attendees a look at the development of the next Disney Animated Feature in Big Hero 6. Look for exclusive footage to be screened.

- Batman will be a major theme this year as the character celebrates 75 years. One of the many special panels will see creative forces Neal Adams, Greg Capullo, Geoff Johns, Jim Lee, Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, Denny O'Neil, and Scott Snyder brought together in one place to discuss shaping the Dark Knight.

- The internet sensation Bee and PuppyCat is coming to Comic Con. Meet the cast and crew as they explain what's coming up with the hit new animated series.

- Batman: The Complete TV Series is coming to blu ray. So who better to discuss what fans can expect from the big box set than Adam West, Burt Ward, and Julie Newmar!

- Cast members Freddie Prinze, Jr., Vanessa Marshall, Steve Blum, Tiya Sircar, and Taylor Gray will provide an exclusive first look at the upcoming Disney DX series Star Wars Rebels.

Friday

- Evangeline Lilly returns to talk about her children's book she brought last year, The Squickerwonkers.

- Joe Johnston will be on hand to help introduce the forthcoming book publication of the storyboards to the original Star Wars trilogy, which LucasFilm is releasing to the public for the first time.

- Janet Varney, David Faustino, and P. J. Byrne are back to talk about what fans can expect in Book 3 of The Legend of Korra. They will be joined this time around by fellow cast-members Seychelle Gabriel and Mindy Sterling.

- Gary Trousdale will screen the upcoming Rocky & Bullwinkle short that will appear on the Mr. Peaboy and Sherman blu ray/DVD release.

- It may have been moved to Friday, but one can fully expected the My Little Pony panel to be as jam packed as ever. Particularly when it includes a first look at the upcoming Equestria Girls Rainbow Rock movie.

- Andrew Lincoln, Norman Reedus, Steven Yeun, Lauren Cohan, Danai Gurira, Melissa McBride, Chad Coleman, and Michael Cudlitz will be on hand to discuss what fans can expect in season 5 of The Walking Dead.

- The pilot to the M. Night Shyamalan produced Wayward Pines will be held along with Q&A with cast-members Matt Dillon, Melissa Leo, Toby Jones, Carla Gugino, and Terrance Howard.

- Can't have a Comic Con without a panel on Game of Thrones, can you? Gwendoline Christie, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Natalie Dormer, Kit Harington, Rose Leslie, Rory McCann, Pedro Pascal, Sophie Turner, and Maisie Williams will be on hand for the latest of the super popular HBO series.

- Mike Tyson is coming to Comic Con. He will be promoting his forthcoming adult swim animated series Mike Tyson Mysteries!

- Edward James Olmos return to discuss the upcoming Mexican animated feature he is producing El Americano 3D.

- Daniel Radcliffe is finally coming to Comic Con. Just not to talk about Harry Potter (unless fan questions have anything to do with it). He'll be in town to promote his forthcoming film Horns. His panel will also feature Salma Hayek taking about her next feature Everly.

- Audiences will get their first look at Atari: Game Over, the Xbox Originals documentary on the digging up of the buried E.T. Atari games buried in the desert.

- Kevin Smith has been moved to Friday, but he's bringing with him a first look at his new film Tusk!

- Metallica's Kirk Hammett and Robert Trujillo return to screen their animated special 'Tallica Parking Lot.

- This year's Warner Bros. Animation premiere screening will be of Batman: Assault on Arkham, set within the Batman: Arkham video game series.

Saturday

- This year's Phineas and Ferb panel will include a sneak peek at the much anticipated Star Wars crossover.

- Warner Bros. Pictures will be be providing early looks at Jupiter Ascending, Mad Max: Fury Road, and The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies.

- The Once Upon a Time panel looks to be the most packed as fans will surely expect to know what will happen when Elsa arrives in Storybrooke.

- The cast of the hit Nickelodeon animated series Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will be on hand: Sean Astin, Rob Paulsen, Greg Cipes, Mae Whitman, Kelly Hu, Josh Peck, and... Seth Green replacing Jason Biggs as Leonardo? In addition to a look at the third season, perhaps folks will find out more about what prompted the cast change.

- The Quick Draw this year will see Disney legend Floyd Norman return to join Sergio Aragonés and Scott Shaw! for another round of improvised illustration hilarity.

- Sailor Moon is coming to blu ray! VIZ Media will provide a look into their release of the original 200 episodes, which will feature a brand new uncut and uncensored English dub.

- The first Cartoon Voices panel of the year will feature Jim Cummings, Josh Keaton, Sherry Lynn, Arif S. Kinchen, David Sobolov, and Colleen O'Shaugnessy.

- The Boxtrolls will be featured and they're bringing along stars Ben Kingsley, Isaac Hempstead Wright, and Elle Fanning.

- Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller will preview the long anticipated Sin City: A Dame to Kill For.

- Twin Peaks is coming to blu ray at the end of the month. A preview of the highly anticipated 80+ minutes of deleted scenes will be teased along with the presence of Lucy Moran herself Kimmy Robertson.

- "Weird Al" Yankovic is landing at the San Diego Comic Con. He'll be on hand to discuss his newly released album Mandatory Fun.

- Greg Weisman will return to celebrate the 20th anniversary of one of the greatest animated shows on TV, Gargoyles.

- At 5:30pm in Hall H, the Marvel Studios panel will begin. Who knows what they're going to do this time around? A look at Age of Ultron? Information on what's going on with Ant-Man? The reveal of Dr. Strange?

Sunday

- Warner Bros. Animation will screen in full the new Scooby-Doo feature, Frankencreepy.

- Disney will be hosting a panel teaching some techniques on Life Drawing for Animation.

- Quentin Tarantino returns to Comic Con and he's in town to talk about a forthcoming Django/Zorro crossover comic from Dynamite Entertainment.

- Warner Bros. Animation will have another full new feature to screen, this time Tom and Jerry: The Lost Dragon.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: 2014 San Diego Comic Con

Post by Randall » July 13th, 2014, 4:39 pm

Not a bad lineup. If I lived closer, I'd be there. Of greatest interest to me is Batman on DVD/Blu-ray, but then I have met all those folks before, and that panel will be well reported, I'm sure. Incredibly, at about the same time the panel is happening, I'll be arriving at Ben's place in England! Which is also cool.
Last edited by Randall on July 13th, 2014, 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 13th, 2014, 5:53 pm

After the last couple years, SDCC's been trying to move away from its image as MovieTrailerCon (that one year of Smurfs banners everywhere may have been the edge of the cliff), and most movie promotion this year is going to focus on the comic-related: Star Wars, Marvel, etc.
Disney may be showing promos for Big Hero 6, but not Into the Woods.
- The pilot to the M. Night Shyamalan produced Wayward Pines will be held along with Q&A with cast-members Matt Dillon, Melissa Leo, Toby Jones, Carla Gugino, and Terrance Howard.
(Gee, I'll bet it's about a government agent going to a sleepy little Northwest woodsy town to solve a supernatural-tinged mystery in it!) :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 20th, 2014, 7:55 pm

Lord Akiyama wrote:- Jack is back! With 24 back on the air with Live Another Day, Kiefer Sutherland will drop by to discuss the return of the hit drama.
...while also promoting the upcoming Blu-ray of LAD and announcing a Russian-based additional day...? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 22nd, 2014, 10:52 am

Hey Akiyama, would you mind if we posted your Comic-con lineup as a story on the site? We'd credit you of course!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » July 22nd, 2014, 9:21 pm

Go for it. 8)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 23rd, 2014, 12:09 pm

If you'd prefer me to add your real name let me know either here or via email. Thanks again!

http://animatedviews.com/2014/2014-san- ... ighlights/

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » July 23rd, 2014, 1:15 pm

I'll try to submit whatever reports I can make at the end of each day, so long as my internet connection remains reliable. (Technically I get free WiFi at the Convention Center, but I obviously can't be there all night :wink: )

If things go to plan, I might snag a special treat on Friday.

Edit: Had posted my real name, but decided to withdraw it for the time being. Wanna see if my screen name will create some sort of mystique should I be able to submit some CC reports. :lol:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » July 24th, 2014, 2:22 am

Just got back from Preview Night. Not much to report, given that it's preview night, but I did manage to secure tickets to Square Enix's quasi-secret Hideo Kojima and Tetsuya Nomura signings. Quasi-secret because one has to purchase eligible Play Arts figures to get into each of the signings and only after purchasing the figures do they reveal when the signings will take place. For Kojima, one has to purchase specific Metal Gear Solid figures while for Nomura one has to purchase specific Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts figures. And the figures don't come cheap, running between $80-$100.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » July 25th, 2014, 12:52 am

Day One is in the books for me and it was quite the eventful day.

I attended three panels today, each providing a fun little bonus for me.

The first was the Toy Story That Time Forgot panel, highlighting the forthcoming Toy Story TV special that will air December 2. Serving as moderator was the man who seemed to have turned into Pixar's go-to man to compose music scores, Michael Giacchino, who will of course score the TV special. On the panel were director Steve Purcell, producer Galyn Susman, and head of story Derek Thompson. They showed off three clips from the show: Woody, Buzz, Rex, Trixie, and new character Angel Kitty discovering the Battlesaurs, Trixie and Rex getting outfitted in Battlesaurs gear, and Maximus introducing Trixie to the battle grounds of the Arena of Woe. The crew gave an extensive background behind the new characters, the Battlesaurs, throughout such as listing off the key characters and the various types of Battlesaurs. This included a neat presentation reel Steve had put together that showed off the look of the characters while playing it up like one of those 80s action show like He-Man and Thundercats. With Trixie being treated as the primary character of the special, they brought out surprise guest Kristen Schaal (voice of Trixie) to talk about the excitement of expanding upon the character. They even showed a clip of Kevin McKidd singing what is the Battlesaurs theme song (minus the music as Giacchino still needs to compose it) and it's clearly in the style of a theme song for shows like He-Man. The character who seemed to have captured the hearts of everyone in the room is the soft-spoken Angel Kitty (one wanted to know if Angel Kitty would get Battlesaurs gear since a look at the forthcoming figures to be released included Woody and Buzz in such and Steve brilliantly answered that she wore "the armor of goodness"). The first ten audience members to ask questions at the end received automatic entry to the group signing later in the day and I got lucky. I asked who else was being added to the voice cast and Steve revealed himself to be the voice of the Cleric, who it would seem may serve as the special's antagonist. The signing saw everyone on the panel appear at the ABC booth to sign the poster designed by Mike Mignola, who also dropped by for the signing.

I managed to get into the Art of Big Hero Six panel, which was PACKED. As noted on the front, they screened two clips with Ryan Potter as a surprise guest to introduce the first. Don Hall and the production crew present talked and showcased a lot about visualizing the film with the first part dedicated to how they built San Fransokyo from the group up, including detail about the program needed to develop so many buildings to populate the city. They also showed a great slide which showed a building in San Francisco they photographed, a production designer illustrating it to fit the film's world, and the end result with it serving as Hiro's home. There was also a neat discussion about the design and color scheme for the development of the characters and how to make them stand out. Though I didn't get the full answer due to having to deal with something involving what to do with another attendee in line for fan questions, another attendee asked a great question regarding the future of hand-drawn animation. The impression I got is that it's still something Disney will utilize and that a project of some sorts is actually in development with a director. All attendees present for the panel received a ticket used for the fulfillment room where they could redeem a small plushie of Fred in his battle costume, which is modeled after the monster movies he is a fan of. I managed to get a picture taken with Ryan Potter and Don Hall, which I hope to have up later.

The last panel of the day I attended was for Bee and PuppyCat. For those who don't know, Bee and PuppyCat is a Cartoon Hangover short created by Natasha Allegri, best known as a storyboard revisionist on Adventure Time and is often created for creating Fionna and Cake. The short became such a huge hit that Cartoon Hangover decided to set up a Kickstarter campaign for the creation of a 9-episode season, which was achieved (becoming the fourth most funded video and film project to date). Allegri was present along with the production crew and the voice of Bee, Allyn Rachel. Allegri came off really shy and soft-spoken, which made her all the more likeable, as the crew discussed coming on-board in major positions for the series as they have smaller jobs on Adventure Time and other shows. The first episode, while not entirely complete, was screened as was a new Cartoon Hangover short called Manly with creators Jesse Moynihan and Justin Moynihan present to talk about it. A lot of the fan questions hit upon the impact and exploration of the fandom for Bee and PuppyCat, resulting in a group of folks with series wear lining up in front of the stage for a big group picture with the panel. After the panel, I managed to get my picture taken with Allegri and Rachel. Allegri even did a sketch of Bee and PuppyCat for me.

Some of the big news that I heard about was Paramount Pictures really hitting up the surprises with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson appear to not only promote Hercules, but also paid for three nearby theaters to screen the film early for free to all the attendees present. Furthermore, Paramount did the seemingly impossible and finally got Christopher Nolan to appear at Comic Con, receiving the biggest crowd reaction of the day hands down. Nolan was joined by Matthew McConaughey to promote their upcoming sci-fi venture Interstellar.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » July 26th, 2014, 1:45 am

Day Two is done. Went to two panels and participated in that special treat I mentioned.

The first panel was actress Evangeline Lilly (Lost, The Hobbit) presenting her children's book The Squickerwonkers. She announced that the book was getting an official publication through Titan Books in November with a few minor changes from when she self-published last year (I managed to pick up both versions of the book). Lilly talked about how the book came about and explained in detail some of the designs from the book's illustrator, Johnny Faser Allan of WETA. An interactive version of the book will hopefully be ready in time for the release in November and will feature a reading by Sylvester McCoy ( 7th Doctor Who, The Hobbit) with him doing a sample of the first page being heard along with the soundtrack that will go along with it. The cutest moment came right off the bat at the start of fan questions when a little girl asked "Can a seven-year-old read your book?" It was so cute Lilly invited the girl onto the stage to read a couple pages. A very nice, informative panel that will hopefully get those who were present to go out and buy the book. Nearly all of the attendees were primarily there for the next panel and I got the impression that they liked what they saw from Lilly.

Speaking of that next panel...

The My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic panel was moved to Friday as well into a much bigger room so that more fans could fill the seats. Tara Strong (Twilight Sparkle), Andrea Libman (Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie), and Cathy Weseluck (Spike) were the cast members present along with head writer Meghan McCarthy, animator Jason Hesem, and composer Daniel Ingram. First up is a preview of the new Equestria Girls special "Rainbow Rocks". It would appear that Sunset Shimmer is looking for redemption and could prove helpful when a trio of girls appear inspiring others to do their bidding, resulting in a battle of the bands. A dark twist to the cafeteria song is played to great fan interest. Season five is in development with following being revealed: one episode will feature Princess Luna having a nightmare, the season will include the 100th episode and will heavily feature some otherwise background ponies, a whole episode will be dedicated to Pinkie Pie's family, and Twilight and her friends will find themselves on a greater adventure as dictated by her new position as Princess. An extended animatic to the first episode of the season was screened to the delight of fans (despite missing music and most of the sound effects). Most of the fan questions were from little kids, and were generally the type that left the executive having to say "Perhaps" or "Maybe" (questions like if we're going to see more DJ PON3 or the return of Flutterbat). Attendees got a ticket to be used at the fulfillment room, which resulted in a colorized "pony tail" (each color seemingly specific to a character) that can clipped to one's hair.

Now for the special treat. I read Greg Weisman wanted to do something at the cons this year and threw in my interest to participate. Originally he noted that he didn't have a venue for this special to happen, but then it changed on Monday. Friday afternoon, fans who wanted in on this special were to gather for a Young Justice meetup outside of the Convention Center in a park area near Joe's Crab Shack. Greg was joined by fellow co-creator Brandon Vietti and voice actress Vanessa Marshall (Black Canary) and later writers Nicole Dubuc and Andrew Robinson and voice actor Cameron Bowen (Tim Drake) to interact with fans in a quiet, nice gathering. Vanessa even dressed up like Black Canary while munching on her late lunch. The big special treat Greg was doing, aside from really interacting with the fans about Young Justice, was that he was selling scripts he wrote. It didn't have to be Young Justice. I immediately jumped at purchasing his Team Atlantis script "The Last", which was to have been a crossover episode with Gargoyles. Sure enough, he had it and now it's mine for twenty bucks! He even autographed it for me and got my picture with him, later getting one with Vanessa as well. I really liked how the gathering turned out and will post a couple videos I took soon enough.

Elsewhere, I got to attend the signings for both Hideo Kojima (Metal Gear Solid) and Tetsuya Nomura (Kingdom Hearts) at the Square Enix booth. For my brother and his wife, I got them the dolphin hand puppet from Archer (colorized in pink as part of a fundraiser for fighting breast cancer) that I later had signed by two of the show's voice actors Amber Nash and Ricky Yates. I also managed to run into Phil LaMarr and we discussed a particular sketch from the first season of MAD TV that had me and my brother howling with laughter, "Ices on Ice" where Phil was Ice-T and Orlando Jones was Ice Cube. Phil asked me to see if I can't run into Orlando (who's in town promoting the Sleepy Hollow TV series) and gauge his reaction to my fond remembrance of the sketch.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 26th, 2014, 2:49 am

I immediately jumped at purchasing his Team Atlantis script "The Last", which was to have been a crossover episode with Gargoyles.
I knew I wasn't the only one who appreciated Team Atlantis/"Atlantis II: Milo's Return". :)
All attendees present for the panel received a ticket used for the fulfillment room where they could redeem a small plushie of Fred in his battle costume, which is modeled after the monster movies he is a fan of.
(Isn't he supposed to turn into an actual lizard, in the comics??)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » July 26th, 2014, 10:27 am

Don Hall mentioned that when he spoke with Joe Quesada, Jeph Leob, and the rest at Marvel back when he was first pitching the film, they encouraged him to make Big Hero Six his own as opposed to having it follow the comics. Which is why Fred doesn't turn into an actual lizard in the film and merely wears a battle suit designed as one of the kaiju he is a fan of (given that it's a battle suit, it provides him increased strength, fire breathing abilities, and I believe a couple others).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 26th, 2014, 1:49 pm

thanks for all the updates!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 26th, 2014, 6:13 pm

Sounds like you're having an awesome time. :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."