The Penguins of Madagascar

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The Penguins of Madagascar

Post by EricJ » July 27th, 2014, 3:36 am

Buzz Bumble wrote:Years ago there used to be a series of adverts for Cadbury Milk Tray chocolates which had a secret agent type going through all sorts of things to get the chocolates to the lady (tag line "All because the lady loves Milk Tray").
"I mean, after all going to all that trouble, you'd think he'd wake her up and give her one."
- Benny Hill

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » October 13th, 2014, 12:19 pm

I myself will skip this to avoid potential spoilers, but for those who want it, the first four minutes of the movie are up.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 13th, 2014, 7:11 pm

Here's a link: :)

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a ... hjCnJZ4FnK

**Mild spoilers**
Some cute moments, but...nothing really new. The only really fun moment is when Private hatches from his egg. I loved these guys as cipher characters, but on their own I really don't think they can carry a whole movie. :( There's just not a whole lot of new stuff going on, or much to care about for that matter. Hate saying this...I wanted to like it.

Like we said...DreamWorks is in trouble right now. The audience will probably "shrug" or just be plain bored. I don't see this doing well at all. :(
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 24th, 2014, 12:24 pm

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 26th, 2014, 1:05 pm

Another negative review: (apparently there's crude humor here as there is in Home.)

http://www.cleveland.com/movies/index.s ... e_cut.html

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/mobile/m/ ... adagascar/

64 percent fresh

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 26th, 2014, 2:18 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Another negative review: (apparently there's crude humor here as there is in Home.
.....NAAWWWWHHH!! :shock:

(No, no, it's "Humor adults can enjoy along with their kids", remember?)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 26th, 2014, 6:34 pm

Nah, it's "humor" that the kids then repeat interminably after the movie, in the post-movie restaurant and for a good couple of weeks after (or until the next animated picture is released, whichever comes first)!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 28th, 2014, 11:15 am

A (mostly) favorable review from the Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/no ... umberbatch

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 1st, 2014, 8:29 am

DWA to take a write down on Penguins...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... oss-752875

Sorry, James...so much for that $300m gross. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 1st, 2014, 9:47 am

Oh no... :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 1st, 2014, 12:23 pm

He added: "International performance to-date has been okay, but we are reducing our global full-run box office estimates for the film and now expect the company to book a loss on the film in the fourth quarter, unless international materially outperforms the current trajectory."
What, international box-office rescuing a domestic CGI wisecracking-critter title nobody wants in the States?...Oh, THAT'S never going to happen, IS IT?? :x

(Although the fact that it doesn't seem to be happening here either is worth noting. PoM seems to be doing the same proportional equivalent of unimpressive business over there as here, whereas we would normally expect Madagascar or a Fox Ice Age sequel to be packing them in in Germany.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 1st, 2014, 7:49 pm

Definitely missed the total but I still think it's going to do a lot better than people think today. It's going to play for several months with no real family competition until Spongebob in February.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 1st, 2014, 8:17 pm

Except for Annie, which I'm expecting to be huge. And Night at the Museum, which I'm also thinking will be big (especially since it's coming out at Christmas, which is where the franchise "belongs").

The way things are playing out, Penguins could be gone from most theaters before kids are even on holiday break. The same thing, unfortunately, happened with Rise of the Guardians two years ago.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 1st, 2014, 11:13 pm

The difference, though, is Rise of the Guardians wasn't any good!

;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 1st, 2014, 11:48 pm

Gonna have to agree to disagree. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."