AV Founder

Re: Big Hero 6

Post by Randall » September 26th, 2014, 9:30 am

Just checkin'. ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 27th, 2014, 4:27 pm

I think that Disney, whether intentional or not, is doing a "pattern" of sorts with their movies. Release a tradition musical, then do a "Wreck-It Ralph," release another musical, then another "Wreck-It Ralph," etc. That way people don't get tired of either type of film.

Granted, Winnie the Pooh broke this "pattern," but even I forget that movie exists, so maybe it doesn't "count." (It's like The Rescuers Down Under of our time, except that I think Winnie the Pooh has more than just awful box office returns to blame for that).
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 29th, 2014, 8:23 am

Winnie's a weird feature, lacking more than just heart. I liked its intentions (to bring Pooh back into the feature animation fold and way from the countless TV specials and DTV films), but then again Pooh is an entry-level Disney franchise that brings in $3bn a year for the company so in a way there's nothing wrong with all those other shows and movies, since Pooh has become a mascot Mickey type figure and should continue to be exploited.

It was nice that they made another "official" Pooh movie, but it didn't do the job of being anything better than "regular Pooh", and I still prefer the supposedly inferior Tigger Movie to it. Ironically, being the "bigger" Pooh release (and not a lesser budgeted one from DisneyToon) made it need to make more money, which it couldn't. As a DTV, its take would have been fine, but as a feature animation film, it killed off traditional animation, which was maybe its point.

I'd like to have seen this formula for a while, on a three year cycle: a fairytale "girls" movie, a "boys action" movie, and a traditionally animated mixed genre movie, keeping everything fresh. I guess Disney is back on track now (and faring much better than even Pixar, which feels right), but I hope they don't now become too much reliant on Dacey's theory of the same movie every other year.

Still, no word on a Frozen sequel, which is a good sign... :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 29th, 2014, 11:40 am

Ben wrote:Still, no word on a Frozen sequel, which is a good sign... :)
Actually, they announced the Tangled Ever After-style short, which is pretty much what I called from the beginning.
No word on a Tangled feature sequel either, which is not surprising, and no word yet on a Ralph feature sequel either, which is....disappointing. :(

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 29th, 2014, 11:52 am

There actually has been talk on a Ralph sequel, Eric. :) Both from the directors and from Sarah Silverman (who said it was "definitely happening"). Apparently the plan is to bring Mario in when and if it happens.

Of course, it's not "officially" greenlit yet. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if we saw a Ralph sequel in 2017 or so, and would be even less surprised if we saw a Frozen sequel in November of 2018 (I'm still willing to bet money it will get announced at D23 next year).

Honestly, I don't consider the shorts "sequels." Just fun little things to satisfy fans (and also boost attendance for movies Disney is uncertain about the box office returns for). :)

And I actually prefer both The Tigger Movie and the straight-to-video Pooh's Grand Adventure over the uneventful, unmemorable Winnie the Pooh. Too long to be considered a short and too short to be considered a movie, it just sort of...exists in the Disney canon. I'm aware that Chicken Little is considered by many to be the low point of the studio's recent years, but it does hold a place in Mouse House history as their first CGI feature, which would obviously help pave the road for better movies in the future. And, studio head interference aside, if you ignore its "uneven" aspects, it's still a mostly fun and heartfelt film as far as I'm concerned. Winnie the Pooh, on the other hand, has nothing "wrong" with it per se. But there seems to be no "point" to it either, if that makes sense.

And by the way, has anyone heard anything about that Zootopia thing since it was announced last year? I know it's apparently still a long way off, but normally we'd at least have casting news or something by this point.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » September 29th, 2014, 12:45 pm

Yeah, Jason Bateman is play the lead character (a fox) in Zootopia. These Disny Animation Studios features have been pretty secretive in recent years (we didn't know anyone in the Big Hero 6 voice cast until three months ago) so I'd expect that to be the extent of the news we get on Zootopia until a trailer next Fall.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 29th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Dacey wrote:Winnie the Pooh, on the other hand, has nothing "wrong" with it per se. But there seems to be no "point" to it either, if that makes sense.
One of the deleted WtP11 scenes originally had Tigger's first appearance bouncing on Pooh as in the original, and saying, "I'm Tigger, T-i-double-guh-er!", and Pooh replies, "I know, you said that already..."

That scene sort of summed up my reaction to the whole studio feeling that went into making the movie:
They wanted to recapture the 60's, and de-historize all the 80's-00's merchandizing, but they were just ritually going through the motions of imitating the original 60's film--There didn't seem to be any emotional plot to give it a reason to come back again (even the old shorts captured the whimsy of Milne's text), apart from Lasseter just wanting to see it back again to prove a point, and for a Lasseter movie to be that empty, something's wrong.
(Heck, even Frozen fans think their movie had emotional moments in it.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 30th, 2014, 6:01 am

Yeah, the Tangled-style Frozen short (which I was well aware of, natch) isn't a sequel, so my comment stands. These are more like spin-offs, just as the Figaro cartoons of the 40s came after Pinocchio, or indeed any of the 80s TV shows, 90s DTVs or the "Toons" series of shorts for Cars and Toy Story. They aren't sequels per se...simply franchise extensions just like comic books and toys.

The recent Pooh movie could have actually used more of the classic 60s and 70s feel in it (I'd have loved for Tigger to bounce Pooh, as that's what he always did), but it had this uneasy feeling of wanting to hark back to the originals while also not wanting to feel "old". In the end, the heart wasn't there and it felt like a carbon copy...even the songs felt like reminiscent rip-offs.

So...I hear there's a Big Hero 6 movie coming out... ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 4th, 2014, 4:53 pm

Disney was heavily marketing this movie last night during Star Wars Rebels (which is a LOT of fun, by the way, and shows a plenty of promise). Honestly, I stopped watching after a certain point, as Disney is notorious for not caring what they give away in the weeks leading up to a new release.

Also, Prince Hans from Frozen appears as an Easter Egg in the film's trailer. He's on one of the wanted posters.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » October 7th, 2014, 8:39 am

I'm really getting excited for this one, which is officially only a month away!!
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 7th, 2014, 9:30 am

I've actually decided not to go and see this now. I mean, I didn't see the original Big Hero or any of the sequels yet...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » October 7th, 2014, 10:24 am

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 7th, 2014, 11:33 am

I thank you. I'm here all week.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 7th, 2014, 1:24 pm

You realize, lesser men have been killed for resurrecting the Leonard Part 6 jokes after all these years?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 7th, 2014, 6:22 pm

I'm actually ahsamed of myself for how long it took me to get Ben's joke.