Manga & Anime THREAD

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » October 25th, 2005, 9:53 pm

Thanks for the news, George. :) I look forward to viewing some of these films for the first time.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 29th, 2005, 9:07 am

Me too. As anyone who knows me from these boards or other sites will know, I'm not the biggest anime fan, but will happily sit down and take in new material, especially some of these films, which have an important history and reputation.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 8th, 2005, 10:51 am

OFFICIAL CONFIRMATION OF TCM AIRINGS OF GHIBLI FILMS!

Here it is with the current scheduled airings in January --

http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=6810

Note that several of these films have NOT been released on DVD by Disney yet INCLUDING Only Yesterday and Whispers of the Heart.

I'm hoping the Mouse does the right thing and releases EVERYTHING on DVD even if one of the titles is subtitle-only!

GeorgeC

The Art of My Neighbor Totoro is out!

Post by GeorgeC » November 15th, 2005, 12:28 am

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books

A recent release so it should be coming into most major bookstores fairly soon...

Now, I've gotta get this book (companion to my FAVORITE Miyazaki movie) and The Art of Spirited Away!

I've already got the Art books for Howl's Moving Castle and Porco Rosso (which I haven't watched yet).

GeorgeC

Next 3 Ghibli features scheduled for R1 DVD...

Post by GeorgeC » November 21st, 2005, 6:02 pm

Thanks to AnimeNewsNetwork, here's a link to http://www.ultimatedisney.com/comingsoon.html

The next 3 Ghibli-licensed features are being released in 2-disc DVD sets on March 7th, 2006.

They will be My Neighbor Totoro making its debut with a new English dub in its original aspect ratio AND a first-time R1 release with the original Japanese soundtrack!

Also releasing that day are Howl's Moving Castle and Whispers of the Heart.

The only Ghibli release currently not scheduled is Only Yesterday which Disney apparently doesn't know how to handle even though they released a feature with giant raccoon scrotums in it...!

The link above also contains tentative release dates and speculation on the releases of the Platinum Edition of The Little Mermaid, Lilo & Stitch: Special Edition (the oft-delayed 2-disc set for R1), and Song of the South...

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 9th, 2005, 1:37 am

CONFIRMED from TheDigitalBits.com:

( http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents )

"You'll be happy to know that we've confirmed with Buena Vista that the next batch of Studio Ghibli animated films to be released on DVD will include Hayao Miyazaki's recent Howl's Moving Castle and his older My Neighbor Totoro, along with Yoshifumi Kondo's Whisper of the Heart. You'll find those in stores on 3/7."

That still leaves the unscheduled "Only Yesterday."

I have to recheck the Turner schedule to see if it IS airing on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) next month with several other films...

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 9th, 2005, 1:40 am

OK, got it...

From my old post on TCM Ghibli airings.

xPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUICK_EDIT

Edit post close

OFFICIAL CONFIRMATION OF TCM AIRINGS OF GHIBLI FILMS!

Here it is with the current scheduled airings in January --

http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=6810 <<

"Only Yesterday" is going to be in Japanese with subtitles. No dub has been planned for this film which Disney is having some problems with.

Release the darn thing through the Touchstone or the Miramax label already, Disney!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

what did you guys think of

Post by bullwinkle » March 5th, 2006, 12:05 pm

what did you guys think of Howl's Moving Castle. i never watched it. and i was wondering if it was good.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by abbynormal06 » March 5th, 2006, 2:29 pm

It was pretty good, actually. It was WAY different from the book, but I enjoyed it all the same.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Your fav STUDIO GHIBLI movie.

Post by isaac15 » March 8th, 2006, 9:31 pm

i love all of STUDIO GHIBLI movies. and i was just wondering what are your guys fav STUDIO GHIBLI movies. please vote and post your reviews and why you like the movie.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 9th, 2006, 8:46 am

Spirited Away simply blew me away, and is my favorite. The imagination in that one is astonishing. Princess Mononoke probably comes next for me. Actually, the biggest emotional response probably came from Grave of the Fireflies; that one's pretty powerful, and had my wife sobbing so badly I had to stop the movie for 5 minutes.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 9th, 2006, 11:03 pm

Kiki's Delivery Service is my favorite. It was the first anime I ever watched. The very charming story and the depth of the characters astounded me and I became an anime freak literally overnight, so because it was my introduction it will always have a special place with me. Princess Mononoke is my second favorite. That was one of the first anime I watched after becoming a fan and it really got to me.

AV Team
AV Team

Rumor mill: Cat Tale to be distributed by Disney?

Post by Josh » April 3rd, 2006, 3:22 am

Recently, I went to the official Cat Tale website (http://tinyurl.com/nlpfw), wondering if I would find any updates regarding the CGI project. As it turned out, the site had been updated. Interestingly, one of the updates the website received is that the Cat Tale trailer had been removed.

At first, I wondered why such a change had taken place. One thought that came to my mind is that Cat Tale may have received a distributor. Hence, the distributor might provide its own trailer for the film, close to when it decided to release the movie.

With that said, I decided to check Wikipedia (http://tinyurl.com/p6rh9) for any updates regarding the project. That's where I saw:
Cat Tale is an animated movie, due to be released on November 17, 2006, produced by Imagi Entertainment and released by Walt Disney Pictures.
Now, I realize that Wikipedia isn't always the most reliable source. That's why I am posting this info here and not on the main page. Can anyone confirm or deny this news?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 3rd, 2006, 11:25 am

WTH is "Cat Tale"?!?!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » April 3rd, 2006, 1:27 pm

Check the links, please. :)