DreamWorks' "Home"

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: DreamWorks' "Home"

Post by ShyViolet » March 14th, 2015, 5:59 pm

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 17th, 2015, 6:48 pm

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 20th, 2015, 11:25 am

44% on RT so far....well, it's not like it was unexpected. :(

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/home_2015/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 22nd, 2015, 4:30 pm

Starting off with 19 million internationally:

http://www.thewrap.com/dreamworks-anima ... ox-office/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 24th, 2015, 9:32 am

Talk of another write-down already (and the film hasn't even opened in America yet).

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... film-slump

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 24th, 2015, 9:59 am

Well, it comes as no surprise. We weren't expecting Home to hit home. What is surprising is how much analysts think it will bring home...$140m domestic!? Even if it does well, DWA's insane last-minute marketing costs will eat into any near-profit, meaning that it will still struggle to coming close to breaking even.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 24th, 2015, 10:29 am

Yeah, $140m seemed pretty crazy to me too.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 26th, 2015, 1:14 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 26th, 2015, 1:17 pm

A cheery doofus who doesn’t realize no one likes him
...Oh, and when has DWA ever done THAT? :roll:

Fox's current last-minute TV spots pretty much throw themselves on the mercy of the audience by ignoring the faux-Lilo & Stitch plot completely (not that the audience really had a clear idea of it to begin with), and just selling the "hip" party references, and the aliens' big karaoke party at the end.
Which, given the source of Dreamworks' woes, may not be the most intelligent strategy to pursue...

As it is, seems as if the current audience really is throwing their hands in the air as if they did not care, and in point of fact...they don't. :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 26th, 2015, 11:47 pm

I had a client today (age 52 or so) who spoke at length about the new "Disney" film she saw being promoted... meaning Home, of course.

I told her it was a DreamWorks film, and she asked if that was different than Disney.

Sigh. Maybe we are the only ones who care. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » March 27th, 2015, 3:57 pm

Woah! In a bit of a surprise twist, Home is looking like it could be a bit of a surprise hit!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/b ... day-784869

Obviously early numbers, but projections are up to $45 million for the weekend. If it even just did 3.8 times it's opening weekend, it'd make $170 million total, far above those $140 million projections! All Potentially of course, but still, things are looking up!
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 27th, 2015, 4:42 pm

Am I the only one not surprised by this? This was the first animated movie to come to theaters since SpongeBob more than a month ago, and in my opinion, always looked like a solid family offering.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 27th, 2015, 7:01 pm

I'm surprised for sure, especially considering how Home was tracking up until last week, but am happy for DWA who obviously need a hit.

While we can't say Home is a result of the new DreamWorks thinking, we can say it's hopefully the last of the "previous" DreamWorks thinking, where they can now move on from fart jokes and urine gags and onto better and brighter (in all senses of the word) offerings.

Good for them, though...aided by a competition-free weekend it looks like they'll have morale boosted at least. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 27th, 2015, 11:03 pm

Phew! This makes me happy. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 28th, 2015, 12:43 am

I'm a little astounded, assuming this early projection holds true. The film just looks so unappealing to me. Are parents that desperate for film entertainment? Or am I just being too hard on it?