DC Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » September 7th, 2005, 10:35 pm

ShyViolet wrote:So....what's the deal on this movie? Anything cool happening?
Have you heard about the fake teaser trailer recently released online?

-Here's the trailer: http://tinyurl.com/b6a56
-Here's the story about it (scroll down the page a bit): http://tinyurl.com/7e9ua

Several news sites were reporting the trailer as the real deal.

Meanwhile, three new pics unleashed at Latino Review (http://tinyurl.com/8wbvk) are creating a stir amongst Superman fans, especially since one of the images reveals Kevin Spacey as Lex Luther.
ShyViolet wrote:What's its competition? Cars and Over the Hedge I'm assuming....
About the competition for Superman Returns, the film will probably have the opening weekend (June 30, 2006) mostly to itself. Cars will come out June 9th, while Over the Hedge will come out May 19th. However, Superman Returns will go against Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest on July 7th.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 8th, 2005, 7:05 am

As I knew he would (not being big-headed here, but it was a given, seeing how much Hackman and Spacey would look alike without hair), Spacey looks absolutely fantastic.

The suit still looks like poo though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 8th, 2005, 3:33 pm

Mickey A wrote: However, Superman Returns will go against Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest on July 7th.
Oooh. It'll be interesting to see which one comes out on top.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 8th, 2005, 5:55 pm

As I knew he would (not being big-headed here, but it was a given, seeing how much Hackman and Spacey would look alike without hair), Spacey looks absolutely fantastic.
Yeah Spacey looks awesome, evil and restrained at the same time. (*coughLoisandClarkvillainscough*) And he's such a great actor to boot. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 16th, 2005, 4:23 pm

BTW, by contrast, Lois Lane's small role in Supes III is down to Margot Kidder being a Donner supporter through the Supes II trouble, so the Salkings (and Lester) punished her by writing her outta the script!
What was the "Supes II trouble"?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 17th, 2005, 7:55 am

Loooooooong story (do a search online and you'll get pages and pages on it), but in short:

Superman and Superman II were shot as one big movie, over 18 months. As Superman's release date loomed, it was decided to concentrate on getting part one finished for the release date and then go back to part 2.

Anyway, as pressure mounted (Donner wanted to keep everything on scale and of quality, the Salkinds wanted a completed film with whatever effects work was done), there was a big falling out.

Donner was essentially fired from the project, even though an estimated 70% of Superman II had already been filmed. Donner's "pal" Richard Lester, who was also friends with the Salkinds from their previous Musketeers films, essentially knifed Donner in the back and, instead of being the mediator he said he was, schemed to remve Donner from the film and eventually took over.

Since DGA rules state that more than 50% of a film must be directed by the sole credited director, they threw out as little of Donner's stuff as they could and re-shot whole other scenes (the Honeymoon Hotel for instance).

Marlon Brando, who was always in the second but put an injunction out on them using his footage as he hadn't been paid for the first, left the project, as did Gene Hackman. Anything with Hackman in it is a Donner shot. They used a double for many of the Fortress Of Solitude moments at the end to get around him not being on set.

The rest of II was completed with shoddy matte work, and by re-using Williams' score (who also had left), adapted by Lester's friend Ken Thorne, who used a school-band sound instead of Williams' lush 110 piece London Symphony Orchestra.

Depsite some inspired (Donner) moments, Supes II is laiden with ill-judged comic bits from Lester and isn't nearly as good as it could have been.

Fans have been petitioning for years for a Donner Cut of Supes II, something WB says they are considering. There is so much footage out there that would make it a completely different film (alt opening and ending). The Eiffel Tower explosions that opens the film was tagged on. Originally it was the bomb on the rocket that Luthor sent into space from the first film that would have exploded and released the super villains from the Phantom Zone.

The films would have been much better interlinked, and its such a shame to see such a massive franchise become so mixed up.

Could have been soooo much better. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 18th, 2005, 2:30 pm

Wow that's pretty interesting.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 29th, 2005, 4:53 pm

Fans have been petitioning for years for a Donner Cut of Supes II, something WB says they are considering. There is so much footage out there that would make it a completely different film (alt opening and ending). .
Looks like you got your wish! :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 29th, 2005, 5:00 pm

Yeah... I simply can not wait for this!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 29th, 2005, 5:02 pm

Cool poster for the Singer one:

http://www.bluetights.net/theplanet/sho ... php?t=3114

I think the teaser they're talking about was the fake one.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 18th, 2005, 7:23 pm

So....when's the first trailer coming out? :?:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » October 18th, 2005, 7:42 pm

My guess is that it will be attached to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 25th, 2005, 6:52 am

You guess correctly, sir...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 1st, 2005, 8:59 pm

I can't WAIT to see the trailer (or teaser)?? It must be only a few weeks away now.

KEVIN-SPACEY-WILL-BE-SO-COOL.

:)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 3rd, 2005, 8:53 am

Though they ran "Goldmember" over here last week and it reminded me that we've seen a bald, evil, Spacey before...

Takes away some of the effect, but he will rule as Lex Luthor.