More Miyazaki on US Blu Ray

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: More Miyazaki on US Blu Ray

Post by Vernadyn » December 15th, 2015, 12:40 am

Dacey wrote:although, with regards to Whedon's incoherent babbling on the commentary track for Age of Ultron--a movie I very much enjoyed--, that might be a good thing).
Yeah, I listened to that commentary track and I don't know what happened there, especially because I remember enjoying his commentary for The Avengers.

But regarding the topic at hand--now I don't feel like such a fool for recently picking up some of the Miyazaki films on Blu-ray. (Though it would be nice if the Blu-ray of Castle in the Sky had at least offered the option of the revised musical score as an alternate audio track. I know hardcore fans spurn the new score, but I like both.)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » December 19th, 2015, 2:39 am

While not a Miyazaki film per se, looks like GKIDS will be bringing Only Yesterday stateside sometime in 2016 in honor of the film's 25th anniversary. They've enlisted a pair of Star Wars girls in Daisy Ridley and Ashley Eckstein to head the English dubbing cast that will also include Dev Patel.

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ica/.92083

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 19th, 2015, 10:08 am

I have the UK DVD of Only Yesterday. It's a nice little film. Good to see it getting US distribution and a new English dub.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » December 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm

That's great to hear about Only Yesterday. It's the only movie of Ghibli I don't have because of in Australia it has only been released with subtitles.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » December 19th, 2015, 7:54 pm

The Only Yesterday UK DVD has just japanese audio with english subtitles, as well; the upcoming release is the first time it will be dubbed in english.

It's definitely the 'hidden gem' of Studio Ghibli's catalog, and is my favorite of Isao Takahata's movies. Though it is mostly about a young girl growing-up in 1960s Japan (intercut with scenes of her 1980s 'mid-life crisis' as an adult), there are plenty of situations that are recognizable or relatable to people of any age .. or almost any country.

I first saw the movie at Anime Expo in 1996; a subtitled version that had been made especially for Japan Air Lines flights. It was a late-night screening, with only about thirty people in the audience, but every one of us was enthralled with it .. and, after the climactic ending sequence -- into which I'm certain Miyazaki had some input, on a 'brain trust' level -- there were tears (of joy!) everywhere. I bought the movie on japanese Laserdisc soon after .. and picked-up the UK DVD a few years ago, when it became obvious that Disney had no intentions of releasing it here.

--------------------------

I received The Collected Works of Hayao Miyazaki Blu-ray boxed set from Amazon earlier this week. I'm pretty happy with it! :)

The celluloid band that encircles the outer slipcase is way too tight, though; it took a lot of effort to slide it off .. and I'm not sure I could slide it back on any easier, so I'm just gonna leave it off.

The video and audio quality on the movies I've watched so far is excellent.

There are indeed no 'bonus features' on the movie discs (I've kept the DVDs in my video library .. so I still have access to those, in standard definition .. though, frankly, most of the stuff Disney touts as 'bonus features' on these titles doesn't much interest me). I haven't yet watched the bonus disc that comes with the BD set.

All-in-all, I feel it was 'worth' it, especially given the $85 discount I'd gotten while it was a 'Deal of the Day'. :mrgreen:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 27th, 2015, 1:28 pm

I'm not an expert on the matter by any means, but is there any reason Only Yesterday hasn't been released in the states? Like is there some questionable content or something? (Like the potential incest romance in Poppy Hill?)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » December 27th, 2015, 1:45 pm

I think part of the reason it hadn't been released Stateside for some time was because it was an untraditional subject for animation. A realistic drama made specifically for adults, in particular women as it deals with a woman looking back on her life through all its ups and downs as she struggles with what she should do moving forward. And given in 1991, this was rare even in anime without having cutesy sidekick characters or action sequences.

The new English dubbing will make its premiere on January 1 in New York followed by a limited theatrical run nationwide beginning February 26.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 27th, 2015, 6:48 pm

I suspect it was the scenes dealing with menstruation that kept Disney from releasing it. It certainly surprised us when watching it. Not that that's a bad thing, but I can guess that's why Dis was scared to put it out.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 27th, 2015, 7:01 pm

This from the studio that made "The Story Of Menstruation" educational short in 1946.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 27th, 2015, 7:45 pm

Touche!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » December 31st, 2015, 5:42 pm

As posted on the front, the trailer for the English dubbing of Only Yesterday.

Daisy does a pretty good American accent, I think.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 31st, 2015, 7:07 pm

But why is she doing an American accent for a dub of a foreign film?

I mean, that's not a complaint, but why these things act like Yanks are afraid of "Brit" accents when we prove time and time again that we aren't is kinda beyond me.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » December 31st, 2015, 9:05 pm

If I had to guess, probably for some form of consistency since nearly all the other voices have American accents (even Dev Patel sounds like he has one here). It's probably this notion that it would be odd for the family to have an American accent and then here she is with a British accent.

But I guess you'd have to ask GKIDS and/or Daisy. *shrugs*