Will Disney buy DWA? No! Universal did!

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Will Disney buy DWA?

Post by ShyViolet » March 14th, 2016, 8:17 pm

Agree! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 26th, 2016, 10:14 pm

Re: Comcast story on front page.

Wow. :shock:

I wonder what's going to happen now. To future films, animators, everything. Or maybe this will go south just like the other potential deals did.

I guess all we can do is wait and see. :|
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » April 26th, 2016, 11:11 pm

Should be interesting considering Comcast owns NBCUniversal.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 26th, 2016, 11:12 pm

Looks like a good fit to me. Katzenberg may have to jump on that deal.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 27th, 2016, 6:50 pm

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 27th, 2016, 7:13 pm

...because someone got excited and leaked the talks. Again.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 28th, 2016, 2:38 am

Oh no... :(

https://www.google.com/amp/www.wsj.com/ ... ent=safari#

Even if the deal doesn't go through it does seem like JK is looking to "take the money and run"? I don't know. But what's going to happen to all the animators who are left at the company if he does leave (through this possible acquisition or another one down the line?)

Kinda ironic situation...wasn't Comcast once interested in acquiring Disney during the Save Disney days when the company wasn't doing very well? That idea seems SO crazy now considering what an unbelievable juggernaut Disney has become in the last ten years. Although some at the time said Roy Disney was looking to sell just to "get even with Eisner" others think the whole thing was a ruse just to get Eisner to look even worse in the public eye. I guess we'll never know... :? (Although the second one seems a heck of a lot more likely...Roy was looking to take back control of Disney and it seems extremely unlikely that he would have surrendered control to Comcast.)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 28th, 2016, 12:07 pm

Or maybe Roy, bless his soul, eventually became too bitter about the whole thing.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 28th, 2016, 1:32 pm

It was the right thing to get Eisner out of the company at that point, but SaveDisney went WAY too far. They basically destroyed him. (As did DisneyWar, SaveDisney's offical book.)

Anyway, I'm mostly glad about the DWA deal...at least they'll be on safer ground if a movie bombs. But what's going to happen to the animators? What about employment contracts, benefits, an environment for creativity? What about the Glendale campus?

Also sad about JK "stepping down" into a more minor role. He IS DreamWorks. What kind of direction will they take now?
So many questions... :?

(Plus, *sigh* I guess there goes the possibility of Disney buying them, so maybe this thread should be renamed lol. :) )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 28th, 2016, 3:15 pm

ShyViolet wrote:It was the right thing to get Eisner out of the company at that point, but SaveDisney went WAY too far. They basically destroyed him. (As did DisneyWar, SaveDisney's offical book.)
Save Disney was ONLY interested in the union issues of the fired animators--"Eisner ended 2D animation" was, what, fifth on their list of grievances?
It was everyone else in the animation fan community that trumped up (no pun intended) SaveDisney into the symbolic face of their cause to Make Animation Great Again and fire the nut who was bent on destroying it.
Also sad about JK "stepping down" into a more minor role. He IS DreamWorks.
You say that like it's a good thing...
That's sort of the reason we're hoping good things come out of this, although without Jeff's sour, nasty fangs, sitcom preoccupation or Ahab-like obsession to get his Shrek 6 back by hook, crook or other franchise, what will DWA be?
The hollow by-the-numbers empty DWA clone-shell that BlueSky became when the Illusion people left (that's the BlueSky of Rio 2, before everyone leaps to the rescue of the Peanuts Movie), just bringing in sitcom stars and loser-gag characters because they're "supposed" to?
Last edited by EricJ on April 28th, 2016, 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 28th, 2016, 5:27 pm

The official answer to this thread's title is now: "no".

http://animatedviews.com/2016/is-the-dr ... animation/

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 28th, 2016, 6:00 pm

We should totally edit the title then! "Will Disney Buy DWA? No!"

;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 28th, 2016, 6:03 pm

Lol! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 28th, 2016, 6:28 pm

Ha! I just changed it to that without even reading Dacey's comment!

Great minds think alike, Dace. And so do we... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Will Disney buy DWA? No! Universal did!

Post by Vernadyn » April 29th, 2016, 4:31 am

Amidst this breaking news, I couldn't help noticing a tidbit in the Hollywood Reporter article: DreamWorks hires rocket scientists to help make its animation look better. Does that mean that the other major animation studios do too? And if not, why doesn't DWA's animation look any more technically impressive than that of Disney, Pixar, Blue Sky, or any of the upper-tier VFX vendors out there?