Hoodwinked

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Hoodwinked

Post by Dacey » November 13th, 2005, 5:36 pm

I just heard about this movie. It looks like "Shrek". Anyway, I was just wondering if it's getting a wide release, because it looks like it's getting distributed by an independent studio.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Think so

Post by JustinWilliams » November 13th, 2005, 6:33 pm

I'm sure I read about it being released to the UK market a few weeks ago. Ill try and track down what it was I read..... Sadly the trailer will not play for those of us in England....

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 14th, 2005, 10:45 am

Nice new avatar Justin!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JustinWilliams » November 14th, 2005, 2:22 pm

Thanks Ben - Lumiere's my favourite Disney character. Anyway, I'm off topic saying this so I'll keep it brief. :) Cheers x

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 14th, 2005, 11:58 pm

Website here -- http://www.hoodwinkedthemovie.com/

IMDB description here -- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443536/

This film is being released by the Weinstein Company, the new company created by the brothers who were the founders of Miramax. They were just recently dismissed from Disney after years of dispute with the Company (and Michael Eisner in particular) over budget issues on their movies and other things.

The hatred between the two parties was mutual.

Whether the Weinsteins can recreate their Miramax success, I don't know. As it is, Miramax really only became successful AFTER Disney bought the company and started bankrolling the movies.

Anyhow, this film may not be around too long. A bunch of people are going to see it as a "Shrek" knock-off or not being different enough. It sure doesn't look different -- design-wise -- from about a million other CGI films.

Of course, most of us (including yours truly) were DEAD-WRONG about "Chicken Little" and that film became the current hit of the holiday season.

"CL" should probably continue doing well even after the next Potter film gets released...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 15th, 2005, 9:58 am

One of the big split things between them was the Lord Of The Rings, which Eisner turned down.

However, it wouldn't have been as good if he'd said yes: Miramax wanted 2 two-hour-plus movies, not 3 three-hour movies.

The Weinsteins still got their names on as producers though, and probably a cut from the takings.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 15th, 2005, 4:35 pm

Whether the Weinsteins can recreate their Miramax success, I don't know. As it is, Miramax really only became successful AFTER Disney bought the company and started bankrolling the movies.
Interesting analogy for the whole Pixar issue...

Personally I think Michael Eisner deserves an apology from a lot of people (like DisneyWar author James Stewart) about the things that have been said about him. Yeah he lost Pixar...THAT WAS NOT HIS FAULT...we can see now that ANY CEO would have the SAME issues about the whole Pixar deal and how much Steve Jobs wanted. Eisner was protecting Disney which is what he's been doing for twenty years. Same with Miramax....he bought them in 1993 and let them go in 2005 because that was best. He turned down LOTR because what the Weinsteins wanted WASN'T what eventually ended up on screen.

With Pixar, Disney took a chance and succeeded.
With Miramax, Disney took a chance and succeeded.

(And they're taking a chance with Narnia.)

And Steve Jobs oh boy... :roll: :roll: "If Eisner is gone, I'll come back to Disney." Yeah. Right.

Roy Disney: "If Eisner is gone, Pixar would be back in two weeks."

:roll: :roll: :roll:

So much of that Eisner bashing was ill-founded, and now that he's gone it's becoming much clearer. Someone needs to acknowledge this. He wasn't perfect, but what happened was very wrong.

Everyone blames Disney because it's easy to blame the big bad corporation, not the spoiled obnoxious upstart. Go figure. :twisted:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Your Thoughts On Hoodwinked

Post by bullwinkle » November 18th, 2005, 7:32 pm

What are your thoughts on Hoodwinked. to me it looks really funny like shrek 2 funny. the animated looks a little old. but if it is funny like shrek 2 that sounds great.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » November 18th, 2005, 8:16 pm

Some funny gags.

I think the look makes it look TOO much for the younger crowd. It reminds me quite a bit in tone and design of Veggie Tales.

It seems like these folks were laboring under a verrrrrry small budget. A shame.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 19th, 2005, 8:20 am

Sullivan wrote:Some funny gags.

I think the look makes it look TOO much for the younger crowd. It reminds me quite a bit in tone and design of Veggie Tales.

It seems like these folks were laboring under a verrrrrry small budget. A shame.
My thoughts exactly...Reminds me of Shrek, too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by fani » November 19th, 2005, 12:51 pm

Hey ShyViolet, that's cool that you can throw an objective towel in the midest of negativity around Eisner. I still think some of the comment he made can be really stupid though.Make a live-action BEauty and The BEast as high gothic romance musical directed by Coppola?lol

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 20th, 2005, 3:11 pm

The animation looks like it was cheap (which it probably was). Good concept, though.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bullwinkle » November 20th, 2005, 3:47 pm

yeah they had a small budget. well they had to have a small budget. why would they spend a lot of money when they dont even know if people are going to watch it. the movie looks really funny.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 20th, 2005, 3:49 pm

Well, it has Anne Hathaway as Little Red. That's a good thing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bullwinkle » November 20th, 2005, 3:50 pm

yeah Anne Hathaway has a great voice.