General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » November 16th, 2005, 6:44 pm

You're welcome. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 17th, 2005, 1:25 pm

Did you guys know that Pete is actually Disney's oldest surviving character?

He started out as a very similar creature in the Alice Comedies and progressed to Oswald shorts. He's even called Pete in both those series!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!

Post by Ben » November 17th, 2005, 1:32 pm

I posted this in our staff area, but not got anything back so far, so thought I'd give you guys a go. It's not really animation concerned, but...

Windows users will know that if one hovvers the mouse over an image on a site, the little oblong box comes up at the top left for the user to "save", "print", "mail" or "open pic folder".

Now, until recently, especially when gathering pics for use here, I would be able to hovver, wait for the box, select "save" and a pop up would ask me where to save the image. I'd select a place and it would save in whatever format the original image was (jpg, bmp, gif, etc...), asking to save as "bitmap" or "all files".

Now, when I choose to save an image, the usual boxes pop up, but it will ONLY let me save as a bitman (bmp), whatever the original format is. Naturally bitmaps take up more space, so I have to convert them back to jpegs for storage or posting to the web.

SOMEWHERE, I am sure I have "flicked a switch" and got myself stuck, but I can't find the option anywhere (the "all files" seems to have disappeared.

It's starting to be a real drag, so anyone got any bright ideas???

P-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-l-eeeeee-aaaaaaaaa-sssssssss-eeeeeeee?? :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 17th, 2005, 3:32 pm

Ben wrote:Did you guys know that Pete is actually Disney's oldest surviving character?

He started out as a very similar creature in the Alice Comedies and progressed to Oswald shorts. He's even called Pete in both those series!
Really? That's cool.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 17th, 2005, 4:34 pm

Wow, and he was in both the Goofy Movies too. He's been around a long time! :wink:

If you have Disney Treasures: Mickey Mouse volume II, there's actual footage of Walt performing Mickey alongside the guy who did Pete! :wink:
(forgot his name)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bambi » November 17th, 2005, 6:22 pm

I laugh when i see pete doing these things to mickey...
I got "twitterpated" by Faline...
[img]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d53/bambidude/BAMBISIGMetallica.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » November 17th, 2005, 6:46 pm

He was in Three Musketeers. Did somebody already mention that?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » November 17th, 2005, 11:28 pm

I try to forget that movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Phil » November 18th, 2005, 8:23 am

Only slightly related but, HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICKEY MOUSE!

Steamboat Willie came out 77 years ago today.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 18th, 2005, 10:00 am

Pete was in that, too...:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by otma1918 » November 21st, 2005, 6:35 pm

it's an IE problem that has existed as long as IE has. You can easily google a solution. But iirc correctly, you have to empty the cache completely.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » November 21st, 2005, 6:43 pm

Get firefox

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » November 21st, 2005, 6:45 pm

Or get Netscape 8 which allows you to view a page the way Firefox renders it or the way IE renders it . . . and you don't have to register a membership with Netscape to use their browser now like you used to have to for a while.

http://download.netscape.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bullwinkle » November 23rd, 2005, 3:09 pm

i heard about LAIKA. the little clip of the movie looked cool.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Career advice: directing an animated film

Post by Bebopgroove » December 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and this just happens to be my first post. I love this site, and I've been using it as a source for daily animated news for three years (so I thought it would make sense to register :lol: )

I have a question about something that's constantly been on my mind. You see, I've been wanting to get into directing animated films as my career of choice. I'm a freshman in a junior college, and I've finished a course on Film Production and Business. Throughout the course, my professor preached on making your own independent film, financing it, getting a crew together, pitching the script, etc. She never said a word about animated films, how to direct an animated feature, how to hire a team of animators, how to get a story together... the course was mainly about creating a live action feature. Yeah, you bet I was upset. I really don't care about live action, and some of the concepts for making a live action flick were hard for me to grasp (or it could have been my professor). There is a course on Animation in my junior college, but I'm not sure if teaches on how to run an animated feature, or if it's just a course for animators (I can only draw so much, so there's no way I could become an animator :lol: )

With that out of the way, here's the main reason I'm posting this: where can I find a course on running an animated feature (as dumb as that sounds; I wasn't sure how else to put it)? Should I take more courses on directing live action, and would that experience help any? Should I actually direct a live action feature before directing an animated feature (that sounds painful)? I have all these story concepts floating around in my head, and I can't just let them go. And it's a dream of mine to get one story in particular made into an animated film. I feel so confused right now because I feel like I should be doing something, but I don't know what to do. I want to learn more about what goes on in an animation studio (because I don't know that much), but I want to find a class/course that actually teaches that. /ranting

So...any advice would be greatly appreciated.
-- Mal
Last edited by Bebopgroove on December 26th, 2005, 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v162/bebopgroove/anim.gif[/img]
"...I could never leave this forest, but I must know if I am the only unicorn left in the world."