YouTube Goodness

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: YouTube Goodness

Post by EricJ » May 4th, 2017, 2:14 pm

Although Jimmy Fallon's show was a little creative, and current:

In honor of Wishful Fanboy's Star Wars Day For Overly Smitten Kids Who Were Never Alive To Have Seen It In a Theater and Giggled Over The Same Dumb Joke. (Real Star Wars Day, of course, is the 25th.)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 4th, 2017, 4:36 pm

What?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » May 4th, 2017, 5:18 pm

/though, EricJ is referring to the premiere date of Star Wars as the 'real' Star Wars Day: May 25th, 1977

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 4th, 2017, 7:19 pm

droosan wrote:though, EricJ is referring to the premiere date of Star Wars as the 'real' Star Wars Day: May 25th, 1977
The Sack Charles on Cambridge St., Boston (now the Mass. General Research Centre :( ), I was there.
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/8937
Well, in June, actually, but it was still getting block-long lines. Don't argue with the O.G.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 4th, 2017, 9:23 pm

Well, since most of the other films have come on a variety of dates - not to mention varied international releases - May the Fourth works just perfectly as a "real" SW Day. It's just cool to have a solid, fixed date that we know when it is. AND it is a terrific pun.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » May 5th, 2017, 1:13 am

Eh; I'm an O.G. fan .. but I find myself empathizing with Dustin's dad (in the comic strip above) : "There's a Star Wars Day? But why..? It's not like there's a Batman Day, or a James Bond Day. Is that only because you can't make a pun referencing one of their catchphrases on a specific date..?" :|

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 5th, 2017, 2:04 am

droosan wrote:Eh; I'm an O.G. fan .. but I find myself empathizing with Dustin's dad (in the comic strip above) : "There's a Star Wars Day? But why..? It's not like there's a Batman Day, or a James Bond Day. Is that only because you can't make a pun referencing one of their catchphrases on a specific date..?" :|
Isn't there also some kind of Military day on March 4th? No, seriously. That's where you have to start drawing the line.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 5th, 2017, 8:34 am

I think it's just a bit of fun.

You have a birthday every year, right? But you only ever had one birth day, a long time ago. Why keep celebrating it every year?

This is just a way for fans to celebrate their thing. It happens in May because that's when SW was released, and the pun has shifted it back a bit to a logical - and fun - position.

Yes, it's nuts that there is a SW Day. But then many people don't class themselves as Batmen or Bonds as a religion, the way that Jedis wanted it to be acknowledged. I think SW is just that little bit bigger than Batman or Bond, or anything really (except maybe for Trek and I think they already have their celebration date (isn't it Kirk's birthday?), though no reason they couldn't have their days too.

It's just fun for those who partake. I myself was stuck in a British election station all day yesterday, so no fun for me, but I just like that it's kind of out there.

May the Fourth be with you! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 5th, 2017, 10:03 am

Actually....

Batman Day is a big deal at the comic shops, though admittedly not well known outside of that.

https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/batman-day/

quote="droosan"]Eh; I'm an O.G. fan .. but I find myself empathizing with Dustin's dad (in the comic strip above) : "There's a Star Wars Day? But why..? It's not like there's a Batman Day, or a James Bond Day. Is that only because you can't make a pun referencing one of their catchphrases on a specific date..?" :|[/quote]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » August 21st, 2017, 7:26 am

A very short (but nifty!) experimental animation, juxtaposing forced-perspective drawings with a moving mounted camera .. the first half offers a time-lapse overview of the process; the second half features the combined effect:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 21st, 2017, 4:00 pm

That is actually mind-bogglingly amazing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 15th, 2018, 1:25 am

Ta-daa! It's animated 'improv'..! :mrgreen:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 12th, 2018, 7:35 pm

Terrific animation in this recent Coke commercial...

Also, not sure how many people watch the Disney Tsum Tsum shorts, but everyone here should get a pretty big kick out of this one...

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 13th, 2018, 2:21 pm

Cute!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 28th, 2018, 8:31 pm

Aw, Goofy sleeping was just too cute. Nice to see Oswald. Always neat seeing different Tsum's aside from the regulars. Never caught this particular short on the telly though..