How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

Post by Dan » May 24th, 2018, 1:27 am

Guess it's time to start up a thread now that stuff is starting the trickle out, as posted on the front.

Here are the pics that CordlessJet managed to get from the Licensing Expo. (Lemme know if you can't see them and I'll come up with a different method.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

Post by Ben » May 24th, 2018, 5:15 am

Cool...I like how they’re growing up between films.

I wonder if the switch from Dragon 3 to the extended title mans that Unversal is interested in continuing their newly bought franchise beyond the initially planned three films?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 28th, 2018, 4:08 pm

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 28th, 2018, 8:15 pm

Dragon moves away from a very busy March 1 frame that includes MGM’s Dwayne Johnson pic Flirting (sic) With My Family, Lionsgate’s Tyler Perry’s A Madea Family Funeral and Chaos Walking, and Fox’s The Kid Who Would Be King. On Feb. 22, Dragon‘s new competition is just Paramount/SK Global’s The Rhythm Section.
Dreamworks only put it in March for their usual Easter school-vacation Kiddy slot, where they would have otherwise had to compete with a March Geek-Week slate that includes the Next Tyler Perry Film, the Next Jordan Peele Race-Horror, Captain Marvel, Paramount's "Wonder Park" ("We've still got an animation label, darnit!!"), the Tim Burton Dumbo-in-Name-Only, and "Another Dying-Teen YA Novel That Sorta Looks Like 'Fault in Our Stars'".

If you can't take the heat, try for the Valentine's/President's-weekend February rush instead. At least kids are out of school then.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 28th, 2018, 11:17 pm

Except that February 22nd is after that weekend, so...

(And Burton's Dumbo looks pretty faithful to the original Disney version, but I digress)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 29th, 2018, 10:52 pm

Dacey wrote:Except that February 22nd is after that weekend, so...
I know that, Nitpick Avenger. Superheroes and romance-novels get Valentine's, and kids' cartoons get School Vacations, as we know back to the days of "Return to Neverland"

...How desperate ARE we to Sink the Bismarck? :roll:
(And Burton's Dumbo looks pretty faithful to the original Disney version, but I digress)
Yeah, the CGI Timothy they did is really...oh, wait...but they did a good job of handling the Crows, by...oh, crap. :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 30th, 2018, 3:31 am

But that big top, though...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 30th, 2018, 1:19 pm

I'm pretty sure that Eric knows why the crows aren't in the new Dumbo, and that it had nothing to do with Burton...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 30th, 2018, 3:51 pm

...and everything to do with LeBron being too busy on Space Jam 2 to record the lines. Or, y’know...not. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 30th, 2018, 9:08 pm

Dacey wrote:I'm pretty sure that Eric knows why the crows aren't in the new Dumbo, and that it had nothing to do with Burton...
Eva Green being cast as a "villainous trapeze artist" in league with mean circus owner Danny DeVito, OTOH, had EVERY danged thing to do with Burton. :?
But they did at least keep the Pink Elephants. One look at Burton's name on the credits, and you knew he'd be keeping that in the story, non-negotiable.
Dacey wrote:Ha, see, so it IS close to the original! Wrong again! Wrong-wrong-wrong, wrongity-wrong, haven't you left this board yet, Wrongy McWrongface? :lol: :P :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink:
(Y'see, this is the kind of thing I have to deal with every day, people...)

Oh, and apparently Timothy was still too un-PC in the movie to be an actual character in the story either, although we get cute kids and their caring dad to help Dumbo out with his feather. Yep, looks like the Other Tim's gotten past his dad-issues, and is now working on his own.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 30th, 2018, 11:47 pm

Eric, you're not being cute here...

Maybe time for you to calm down and get over whatever it is you're going through, because you're being intentionally obnoxious at this point. We all have our problems in life, and I wish you well with yours, but this forum isn't the best "outlet" for them...especially since, as you rightfully pointed out, we are pretty scarce on members here.

So please take a breather. At the end of the day, we're all animation fans who simply want to play nice. And we all are, in spite of everything, still rooting for you to be able to do the same.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 1st, 2018, 4:34 am

EricJ wrote:(Y'see, this is the kind of thing I have to deal with every day, people...)
Yes...on the boards that you haven’t been banned from...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 3rd, 2019, 4:26 pm

For whatever crazy reason (school holidays), this movie opened in Australia yesterday early a month and a half ahead of the US release. SO naturally I made an effort to see the very first showing at my local cinema, cause I never have the chance to be the first to see a movie. I won't spoil anything but my summary of my experience would be:

While it is the weakest of the 3 movies, it is still an enjoyable, fun, emotional ride. I couldn't think of a more satisfying conclusion to the series. Worth seeing.

On a different note, was it announced that TJ Miller was returning? I am assuming it was linked to those accusations.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » February 9th, 2019, 12:43 pm

So me review is up. Looks like Bill and I are the only ones that can talk about the film for the next couple weeks. :mrgreen:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 1st, 2019, 11:19 pm

I loved the movie, as Rand and Dan already know from Facebook.

But was it just me, or was F. Murray Abraham channeling Bela Lugosi for the villain's voice? The character even kinda looked like Lugosi, so I'm going to assume it was done on purpose?

Also, there's a brand new DreamWorks Animation logo before the movie, which officially labels them as a Comcast company. It's too early to tell how things are going to work between the two studios, of course, but so far, so good.