Scooby-Doo! Theatrical animated movie just announced

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Scooby-Doo! Theatrical animated movie just announced

Post by Randall » March 2nd, 2019, 11:58 am

Oh, I hope this is good. Lots of potential for fun!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 2nd, 2019, 3:33 pm

Celebrity voices? Gasp! ;)

Though I am bit surprised they didn't get Matthew to reprise Shaggy. He is a movie and TV star after all. And to choose Forte? Uhh. He's the Last Man I would've pictured.

Nice to see Frank Welker onboard but I'm concerned it simply mentioned him returning as the "great dane". If they are planning on getting someone else as Fred that would be huge. Outside of "Pup" and maybe a game or two, he's been Fred! It would be so weird. Has to happen eventually, but y'know, still...

Gina as Velma. Hmm. Not bad, could see it. Thing is, I'm just relieved it's not Velma's current voice actor. Egad! That voice is just awful. She makes her sound too nerdy and just generic. I miss Mindy so much and wish she would return. She added an extra spark to the role. Part of me was hoping this could've been it, nostalgia for parents and fans of the semi-recent shows/movies. Sigh. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 2nd, 2019, 4:56 pm

So, the last two movies were trying to cash in on Cartoon Network's 00's HB-bullying, this one--until we see lame gags otherwise--seem like they've noticed the audience has shifted, and they're pitching their vintage HB demographics to the loyal Archive crowd. The ones who ARE buying the obscure-series boxsets and aren't amused by Scrappy-Doo gags. :x

As noted by the just-released direct-video "Curse of the 13th Ghost", the long-awaited finale to the "13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo" series (with Maurice LaMarche filling in for the late Vincent Price):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1xX37wO4Uc

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » March 2nd, 2019, 9:19 pm

As noted by the just-released direct-video "Curse of the 13th Ghost", the long-awaited finale to the "13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo" series (with Maurice LaMarche filling in for the late Vincent Price):
Yeah and spit fans of that era in the eye with that awful ending ticking off fans of the 80s scooby. I won't touch that crappy movie after what they did. The reviews on amazon are nasty.
Last edited by gaastra on March 3rd, 2019, 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » March 3rd, 2019, 7:37 am

looks like frank is the only one who gets to be in the movie. The other voice cast has been replaced by big name actors! Worse they didn't even tell them! They found out the same as us!

Ouch! At least tell them about it wb!

https://twitter.com/GreyDeLisle/status/ ... 8159948800

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 3rd, 2019, 8:51 am

I have next to zero interest in this other than a passing curiosity if the trailers look okay, but this whole voice cast issue really sucks! Reminds me of the Yogi movie where Aykroyd and Timberlake had to be in there even tho all they did was not-bad-but-not-great impersonations. And not to tell them first and only let them find out online? Pretty poor show, and the kind of bad management that can set off bad feeling among the fans enough to sink a movie before it’s even begun to get any kind of traction. Not that I’m suggesting anything... ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » March 3rd, 2019, 4:33 pm

Matthew Lillard, who has been the voice of Shaggy since Casey Kasem retired in 2009, noted how unhappy he was that he had to find out he wasn't going to voice Shaggy in the movie via someone else's Tweet.

https://twitter.com/MatthewLillard/stat ... 0820015104

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 3rd, 2019, 6:44 pm

What’s nmost bizarre is that he was already in the previous live action films and was well known outside of those already! It’s not like he was "just" the character's current voice...he had a career before Shaggy. It’s just plain that they want newer, bigger "names" on a poster rather than what’s best for the film,

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 23rd, 2019, 3:16 pm

From the front page -- Zac Efron and Amanda Seyfried join Scoob as Fred and Daphne -- Not surprised honestly, though was still holding out hope for Frank, being part of the "new" cast and all... What a bummer. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 24th, 2019, 1:27 pm

We have our first look at Scooby! Me like! Not overly realistic, no tweaks to make him look 'hip', just a faithful update of the original design. Nice!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 24th, 2019, 11:51 pm

Yep, nothing to complain about there!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 29th, 2019, 8:00 pm

Another one of Frank's role is being recast, this time Dynomutt, Dog Wonder. After Fred this comes as no surprise. And Ken Jeong? Ugh. Can't see this being a good choice.

I just hope he doesn't blurt out 'yap' as a sort of catchphrase. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » May 13th, 2019, 7:45 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 21st, 2019, 7:51 pm

Mckenna Grace and Iain Armitage will being voicing young Daphne and Shaggy, respectively. Wasn't expecting young versions, neat! Wonder if the designs will be based on Pup.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 19th, 2019, 3:06 pm

A sneak peak of Scoob! provides some new info. Really liking the sound of this! They kind of glossed over the whole voice actor situation though. Just not right. Gives me so many flashbacks...