The New DVD and Blu Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » November 6th, 2005, 1:32 pm

Ben wrote:Anyone...anyone...

Can't believe that no-one bought the Charlie 2-disc or knows what it looks like?
Doesn't it come out in Region 1 on Tuesday?
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 6th, 2005, 6:01 pm

Does it? Thought it was out already - that explains why no-one has been able to answer then!

I would still appreciate it if anyone can tell me in the US/R1 edition comes in a slipcase (from Tuesday, of course!) :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » November 8th, 2005, 1:13 pm

Ben, a UD forum member named "cydney" has verified that the DVD will be a normal case with a slipcover. Click here for the discussion.

Speaking of slipcovers, has anyone seen the slipcovers for the Region 2 2 Disc versions of The Wizard of Oz (I have the Region 1 3 Disc, btw) and Titanic? The latter one is like the Region 1 Cinderella in that the slipcover opens like a book, and the former has a button which plays a bit of "We're off to see the Wizard". Pretty cool, says I, although, naturally, the contents are worth more than the packaging. I do not buy DVDs for slipcovers (sadly, I know someone who did that with Bambi :roll:).
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 9th, 2005, 9:29 am

I wouldn't buy a DVD for a slipcover, but I do actually like them and if they are part of the packaging I like to get the full set.

Thanks for posting the link, Wonderlicious, though I would really appreciate anyone who actually has the disc to confirm it has a slip.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 10th, 2005, 1:11 am

I can visually confirm the slips on the American 2-disc version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I got to AT LEAST 3-4 stores (Best Buy, Media Play, Suncoast, Wal-Mart, occasionally Target) every week and check out new DVD releases in my area.

However, it's a limited first-press run deal and I have already seen 2-disc Charlie sets WITHOUT the slips in-stores. Best Buy, oddly enough, didn't have ANY slipcased 2-disc Charlie sets but every other place I saw the set at did!

Likewise, I have also seen 15th Anniversary Edition Edward Scissorhands with and WITHOUT the collector's tins. The 15th Anniversary Scissorhands without the tins have been slipcased...

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 10th, 2005, 1:12 am

Meg wrote:
Ben wrote:But they did have Hatcher in a succession of skimpy outfits! :)
*sigh* Men...

:roll: :D

What's wrong with skimpy outfits? :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 11th, 2005, 10:35 am

Dammit!

My retailer can only get the non-slip ones and two of the companies I order online with can "not guarantee" that I get one with the slip. Shame if this is also a LE deal, asit would make it a pretty cool one to own.

Polar Express seems to be the same - my importer has that in, but without the slips, which I have seen in promo material it should have.

Any chance of someone picking one up for me? I can PayPal whatever the cost is. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 13th, 2005, 2:33 pm

I'm tired of waiting for DVDsoon to get their act together and ship my orders, so I did a bit of shopping yesterday. I picked up Ben-Hur (beautiful), Wizard of Oz 3-disc (gorgeous, maye the DVD of the year), The Fly, Star Trek Nemesis, Looney Tunes Golden Vol. 3, and the Willie Wonka 2-disc--- in all its bilingual hideousness. (I also got Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus for my little girl.)

Ah, that feels better. I had really been looking forward to getting those. Now to cancel those DVDsoon orders... except their website is down again.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 13th, 2005, 4:07 pm

I know your probs with DVD Soon - maybe they should be called DVD Wait?

The Ben-Hur and Oz sets are cool, Warners really treat theirs and their MGM back catalog with lotsa love.

Am going to pick up Nemesis soon, as part of the SE movies box set. I've not got much Trek on DVD yet, but always intended on grabbing the eventual - and now released - 10 movie/20 disc set, the original shows - when the price of those sets comes down - and the animated series whenever that shows.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » November 20th, 2005, 6:38 pm

FINALLY!

FIIIIIIIIIIINALLY!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 20th, 2005, 8:14 pm

WOW!!!!

Nice table, mac. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » November 20th, 2005, 8:21 pm

ugh Ben.

It's a DESK

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 21st, 2005, 10:08 am

Oops, my bad.

In addition to Charlie And The Chocolate Factory and The Polar Express that George is so very kindly picking up for me with the slipcases, I came home at the end of last week with:

War Of The Worlds - 2 disc LE
Madagascar - love the Christmas short
Sound Of Music: 40th Anniversary - for new transfer and totally new extras
Herbie: Fully Loaded - for the undying kid in me
DuckTales - landmark, well animated show and likely the only one I'll go for other than a complete Wuzzles set.

On order I have King Kong (tin set), the Kong Collection, Sky High and March Of The Penguins, as well as 150 hours in a machine (the Welles3000, Mk II) that actually stops time and allows me to WATCH all this stuff.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 21st, 2005, 9:55 pm

I just got Adaptation and White Oleander. :wink:
as well as 150 hours in a machine (the Welles3000, Mk II) that actually stops time and allows me to WATCH all this stuff.
Can I borrow that once you're done? :wink: :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 21st, 2005, 11:09 pm

ShyViolet wrote:I just got Adaptation and White Oleander. :wink:
as well as 150 hours in a machine (the Welles3000, Mk II) that actually stops time and allows me to WATCH all this stuff.
Can I borrow that once you're done? :wink: :roll:
I don't need to borrow it. I need MY OWN.

Just shipped to me: All 3 new Hanna-Barbera sets, Bela Lugosi set, Fat Albert Vol. 2, Twilight Zone Season 4, Batman Anthology, Fire and Ice.