New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Post by Randall » March 9th, 2019, 12:54 am

I'd be astonished if SOTS showed up on their streaming service, at least without a very cautious home video release first. And in today's climate, it seems unlikely that Disney would be wanting to stir that particular pot.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 9th, 2019, 1:14 am

Randall wrote:I'd be astonished if SOTS showed up on their streaming service, at least without a very cautious home video release first. And in today's climate, it seems unlikely that Disney would be wanting to stir that particular pot.
And besides, we're still waiting for Bob Iger to retire. Reportedly, there's a lot of support for the title, and ONE big fat holdup. :x

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 10th, 2019, 12:24 pm

All in all, though, it’s pretty amazing that this is actually happening. I’d assumed long ago that the days of giving the masses relatively easy access to so much classic material went out with the end of the Disney Channel golden days. Happily eating crow! Lol. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » April 10th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Hawkeye series coming.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/hawkey ... 203183398/

Plus two more marvel shows about marvel comics.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-show ... isney-plus

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 17th, 2019, 9:32 am

Apparently the main reason Iger bought Fox was for Disney+

https://screenrant.com/disney-plus-fox-purchase-assets/
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 17th, 2019, 7:46 pm

No surprise there, but just as I said to Rand in a recent email, I bet he’s kicking himself over letting the entire Miramax library go for so cheap just a few years back.

Such a shame that those films, and that of the Touchstone label, have been so overlooked under Iger's tenure.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 21st, 2019, 3:15 pm

Evidently the "Jim Crow" scene in Dumbo will not be included on Disney+. If that's true, wow. Wrong on so many levels. :( To be ignored in the remake is one thing, but to go in and remove such a crucial scene (not to mention memorable song!) is tainting history. If they simply 'cut' it, it will definitely ruin the flow and cause confusion. A redub would likely be easier. Still dumb and pointless, but at least we would keep the crows...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 21st, 2019, 3:40 pm

"Not to show these things would be just as bad as saying that they never happened" , or words to the effect — Leonard Maltin, any number of Walt Disney Treasures DVD intros.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 22nd, 2019, 2:37 am

I read Screen Rant's take on it, and couldn't disagree more. How many of today's kids even know the term "Jim Crow?" (Plus, who says that all of Disney+'s content has to be only for kids anyway??) Losing that scene would totally hurt the film, and there is no good reason for it. It is so ridiculous to me. That is one more vote for keeping your old films on disc.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 22nd, 2019, 3:04 am

Also, I didn't see "Jim" as a "caricature of the Jim Crow symbol"--
With his derby and cigar, he's a dead ringer for Andy Brown, of radio's "Amos & Andy", considering that we got three of the radio show's better-known voice cast showing up a few years later in "Song of the South". (A&A was huge on radio in the late 30's to early 40's, and speaking as a fan of its later 40's radio sitcom, for good reason. :lol: )

But, like you say, studios are doubling down on "Digital Streaming is the FUTURE!", now that Ultraviolet is dead, but there's still no replacement for archiving everything the first time they come out on Blu.
(Just found that out last night, but that's another story....)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 22nd, 2019, 5:24 am

Yeah; I'm just gonna hold on to my massive DVD & Blu-ray collection, Disney (which already constitutes a healthy percentage of what I'd probably wanna watch on the Disney+ service, anyway). I've no intention of rewarding this type of corporate behavior with a recurring subscription. :|

I had wondered whether Disney might make their last few 1940s animated package features (not yet released on Blu-ray) available on the service in HD (or -- I'd dared to hope -- even give them a Blu-ray release, to complete their animated feature library on that format) .. and whether segments which had been censored in the past (such as "The Martins And The Coys" in Make Mine Music, or Pecos Bill's cigarette sequence in Melody Time) might finally be restored. Guess I'd better forget about that, too. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » April 22nd, 2019, 7:35 am

Why would they edit dumbo? It was just on Blu-ray uncut last year and is uncut on vudu and google play right now. Are they going to chop up peter pan also?

Heck Disney jr airs dumbo uncut all the time and it's a preschool channel. I don't buy that at all. I can see song of the south (yet it airs overseas on tv all the time and gone with the wind was far worse then anything in song of the south) and victory through airpower but don't buy this rumor at all. It was just on Disney jr uncut for crying out load. This sounds like a lot of bull.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 22nd, 2019, 8:00 am

gaastra wrote:
April 22nd, 2019, 7:35 am
This sounds like a lot of bull.
From the way Daniel's linked story is worded (especially with Disney's decline to comment on it), it could also be a 'trial balloon' by Disney+ to gauge whether there'd be any public pushback to selective censorship of its offerings.

If there is sufficient outcry, they can claim the story was bull. If not .. well, that gives them 'cover' to do more of the same to other films.

:arrow: I must stress that this is just speculation, on my part.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 22nd, 2019, 6:35 pm

droosan wrote:
April 22nd, 2019, 8:00 am
From the way Daniel's linked story is worded (especially with Disney's decline to comment on it), it could also be a 'trial balloon' by Disney+ to gauge whether there'd be any public pushback to selective censorship of its offerings.
If there is sufficient outcry, they can claim the story was bull. If not .. well, that gives them 'cover' to do more of the same to other films.

:arrow: I must stress that this is just speculation, on my part.
It's VERY GOOD speculation--Disney has a history of hoping "no one will notice" their trial-balloons and then deciding to keep it around as permanent policy. (ahemfrozen3D) And when the public does, ahem, NOTICE, the studio is self-conscious enough to over-react and make a big issue out of it.
I don't go into rages over Pecos Bill's cigarette (or Goofy's), but it does emphasize that Disney is not above a little "historical revisionism", even in their own permanent archive material or disk. Just look what happened to "The Orphan's Benefit" or Walt's Epcot film.

If they do decide to edit, it may be on the first new re-issue of the '40 original to be marketed in connection with the crow-free '19 Remake, so best do your Amazon used-copy shopping now, just in case. We had our warning with Fantasia and manage to stop that, maybe we're in time to stop this. :wink:
I had wondered whether Disney might make their last few 1940s animated package features (not yet released on Blu-ray) available on the service in HD (or -- I'd dared to hope -- even give them a Blu-ray release, to complete their animated feature library on that format)
There's only two movies left, MMM and Melody, and think that's the only two left out of the entire Classic canon--
There were seven package films, three independent, and two themed duos each: The three "miscellaneous" packages, Ichabod/Toad, Fun & Fancy Free and Reluctant Dragon, came out on Blu a few years ago (Fun and Reluctant only available on the "special" 2-movie set), and the Saludos Amigos/Three Caballeros double-feature was recently up-dumped to Blu as a Disney Movie Club exclusive.

MMM/Melody have a bag-of-shame at the studio, partly because the package films did so badly on their '00 customer survey, but also because the nitpicking fans--still Disney DVD-paranoia mode since the Eisner era--won't let them forget Pecos Bill and the Martins & McCoys.
Last edited by EricJ on April 22nd, 2019, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » April 22nd, 2019, 6:38 pm

If true this is the one thing that could ruin Disney's streaming service. Why would I pay $7 a month for chopped up edited films I could watch uncut on my dvd for free or get on vudu or google play uncut? Let's hope Disney does not do this. Lot of hardcore Disney are going to get ticked if they do this.