Marvel Cinematic Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Avengers and the MCU

Post by James » April 26th, 2019, 1:29 am

It wasn’t as good as IW as a stand-alone film, but I thought it was a fun but fitting end to the Infinity saga.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 27th, 2019, 9:44 am

Ben wrote:
April 25th, 2019, 3:58 am
No, there’s nothing on the end, but there’s a weirdy kind of "cast sign-off" way of listing the credits.
And it has one major, major problem that rips the whole thing apart.
Yeah, with all the heroes back for "One last blast"--and then that whole "MCU Schindler's List" tribute near the end--I wondered what'd happened to The Vision, too.
Had to go back and watch the first Infinity again: "Oh, yeah, right, he had one of the stones, duh."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » April 28th, 2019, 9:21 pm

Agreement with James, was an absolute blast and a fun experience even if as a stand-alone other films were better. But then it's probably tough to try to look at it as a stand-alone.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 3rd, 2019, 3:40 pm

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 3rd, 2019, 4:00 pm

Dacey's review wrote:Note: Avengers: Endgame marks the first Marvel film with no end credits stinger, so you can obey your bladder’s demands once the movie is over if you want to
Ha. :)

Nice review!

One note, not sure if it's a typo or I'm missing the point:
There is also a lot of great comedy in this outing (though a lot of it is built around fat jokes Thor some reason), keeping things lively by never going too long without a laugh.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 3rd, 2019, 6:31 pm

It's meant to be a pun. Using "Thor" instead of the word "for."

Lame, I know, but this is the sort of stuff I live for.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 3rd, 2019, 7:30 pm

Gotcha! Should've known. ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 19th, 2019, 3:23 pm

This feels totally needed...a "re-release" of a movie that's still playing in most theaters...

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/ ... ew-footage

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 19th, 2019, 3:50 pm

This IS totally needed if you’re Disney and you’re after a surefire way to beat Avatar's total...! ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 19th, 2019, 3:52 pm

...which will probably be in vein as Spider-Man 2 (the third one!) is set to open the following Tuesday. ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 10th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Far From Home is the best Marvel movie of the year, and the best live-action Spider-Man film since the original Spider-Man 2. It's more even than Captain Marvel and more lively than Endgame. Mysterio is a great villain, there's a ton of that Marvel charm, the romance between Peter and MJ is very sweet, and it delivers excitement in spades.

I'll say more later, but highly recommended! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 10th, 2019, 4:34 pm

Dacey wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 3:46 pm
and the best live-action Spider-Man film since the original Spider-Man 2.
That's crazy talk! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 11th, 2019, 2:14 am

I really enjoyed Far from Home. The plot has holes that you don't have to look too far for, but it was great fun, with a few twists (some obvious, some not) and some great battles. Jake was very good (admittedly ranging - in a fun way - from sincere to hammy), I liked the students (the teachers not so much), and I love how MJ is a whole different character this time around--- cynical, smart, and a beanpole who is taller than the hero. Why does he like her? Because she's a cool chick, that's why.

Someone else told me today that this was the best Spidey film ever, but I still go with Spidey 2. The big thing is, Spidey's not even in New York for most of FFH, so (similar to Homecoming) it can't really feel like classic Spidey. But Tom Holland is far and away the best-suited actor we've seen in the role. The other thing is, there's still a whole lot of Iron Man in Spidey's film--- which was great, but Tony really cast a loooong shadow in this film. As much as I loved FFH, it still felt like an Iron Man spin-off, even if Spidey was well represented.

The extra (mid- and post-credit) scenes made it even better. The next film promises to be absolutely classic Spidey!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 20th, 2019, 7:11 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 20th, 2019, 8:39 pm

I heard about this at the end of last week, but was confused since I thought they’d locked in enough appearances to make a Holland-led trilogy plus the Avengers shows, so shouldn’t we be getting one more Spidey solo before it all goes sour...?

Although it’s being painted as Disney asking for too much, this is squarely Sony's fault, and it will come back to bite them for being greedy.

Basically, now that the new movie made a billion, they think they now know best and can’t want to have all of Spidey back. Disney, on their side, wanted to keep him in the MCU and extend the arrangement, pretty fairly asking for a 50-50 finance and split on the backend on future movies in return for making Spidey a hit again and no doubt bolstering his value with prominent showings in the Avengers films.

But Sony, now empowered by the strong showings for Multiverse and Venom, think they know how to handle Spidey without help again, and they don’t want to share. Shame on them, since it was this thinking that ran Spidey into the ground last time...

Best thing Disney can do is hold Holland back from his contract so that Sony have to recast, which'll make it feel like yet another reboot. But it’s all going to get a bit messy in both sides of the continuity now, all because Sony are so desperate for their own franchises and basically Spider-Man is all they really have.