Mighty mouse live action film & Spice girls animated film in the works!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Mighty mouse live action film & Spice girls animated film in the works!

Post by gaastra » June 12th, 2019, 9:14 pm

Umm. Yeah. Spice girls animated film and a live action / animated mighty mouse film is in the works! This will be mighty mouse's second film after the 1982 film mighty mouse and the great space chase!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behin ... te-1217519

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Mighty mouse live action film & Spice girls animated film in the works!

Post by Ben » June 13th, 2019, 5:21 am

...Although that was technically a compilation of a bite-sized TV series put together for either European release and on home video. I still have my VHS of that! After a good few years of seeing the original Paul Terry cartoons, I couldn’t work out what was different about Space Chase and why it felt a bit off. This, as a nine year old, was my introduction to the concept of franchise characters, remakes, reboots and other companies using previous characters in new and different ways.

Of course, over time and discovering the ways and means of Filmation and various companies' repurposing of franchise characters, I enjoy it for what it was. I actually enjoyed it back in the day (both on TV in five minute chunks and as the feature edit), but knew there was something different and strange about it, even if it was still funny.

A new take on MM has been coming for years. I just hope they do it right and not as some meta/ironic/post modernist, knowing spoof, which is becoming stale thesedays. The live-action and animation combination could either be the make or break of it...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 13th, 2019, 1:31 pm

Ben wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 5:21 am
A new take on MM has been coming for years. I just hope they do it right and not as some meta/ironic/post modernist, knowing spoof, which is becoming stale thesedays. The live-action and animation combination could either be the make or break of it...
I have the feeling that it's going to be more in the post-Alvin spirit of the cold, merchandised, default "We bought the character, we're gonna SELL the character!" hybrid-character assembly-line that we got from...whatever the heck that direct-to-Netflix Woody Woodpecker thing was.
And at least Universal still owned Woody, unlike MM, who...how old would you have to BE to remember local stations showing those freakishly outdated things because they were free Public Domain? Even as kids, we wondered "Who are they showing them for? Who even watches these?", and that was not counting the local free-PD airings of Heckle & Jeckle.

Like the cheese commercials, there's a pop generation that thinks Mighty was "cool" and "retro" enough for Andy Kaufman, without ever having seen one of the actual cartoons in their life. And boy, are they in for a shock. :shock:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 13th, 2019, 8:26 pm

I have a feeling that they should just leave Mighty Mouse alone, though the comic from a year or so ago was pretty decent. It told the tale of MM entering our world and befriending a young boy, and then protecting Earth from a cat alien attack. I could see an adaptation of that working.

Even as a kid watching the Terrytoons show, one could appreciate that those cartoons were bottom-rung. I YouTubed some "classic" MM shorts recently, and... pretty boring.

I usually want to check out new takes on classic characters, even out of morbid curiosity, but I have never watched a Chipmunks film, and certainly not that awful-looking Woody Woodpecker thing. That just has "stink" all over it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 17th, 2019, 7:13 pm

Spice Girls - well, they were pretty animated from the get go, so I guess this is the next logical step. ;)

Mighty Mouse - ugh, I'm thinking another Sonic in the offing! I'm hoping they do right by him... I enjoyed watching his cartoons back in the day. Whenever I went to Shakey's (pizza joint!) me and my mom would sit in an area where we had the perfect view of a car ride where kids could watch a Mighty Mouse cartoon! Pretty cool combo and made the experience so much more fun.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 18th, 2019, 4:02 pm

Randall wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 8:26 pm
Even as a kid watching the Terrytoons show, one could appreciate that those cartoons were bottom-rung. I YouTubed some "classic" MM shorts recently, and... pretty boring.
"Boring" wasn't the word that always struck my mind as a kid, it was "BIZARRE". :shock:
Even in the late 30's to early 50's, the humor in the cartoons seemed to be by accident, and whatever they were trying for in trying to homage operetta-melodramas just flew over the heads of the audience. (In one cartoon, a train fails to run over our poor tied-to-the-tracks heroine, and the villain cruelly horsewhips the poor locomotive....Oh, so they are self-aware of the concept of "humor" then?)
As Ralph Bakshi & John K. put it, just why WERE they singing, anyway??

(And think Ralph & John, along with all those cheapskate local stations, are the reason MM even still exists in pop-culture today, while Heckle & Jeckle and Deputy Dawg seem to have dropped off the map.
Considering that Bakshi only brought the character back in the 80's "New Adventures of MM" for sophomoric industry-payback for all his personal demons working for Terrytoons in the 60's, assisted by a new young animator working out all his sophomoric industry-payback demons for working at Hanna-Barbera in the 70's.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 18th, 2019, 6:36 pm

So many people don’t get Terrytoons...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 18th, 2019, 9:06 pm

Ben wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 6:36 pm
So many people don’t get Terrytoons...
So many people don't get herpes either. It's not a bad thing.

;)