Soul

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Soul

Post by Dacey » June 19th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Pixar's next summer feature has a title and a release date. Sounds like Docter is making a quasi-sequel to Inside Out here...

https://animatedviews.com/2019/pixar-to ... l-in-2020/
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Soul

Post by EricJ » June 19th, 2019, 3:38 pm

So...they ARE doing the Buddy-cop-guardian-angels idea, then? Told ya it sounded kind of cute, and I'd trust Pete Docter with it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 19th, 2019, 3:53 pm

Ah, "Soul". Yeah, that’s a better name for it. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 24th, 2019, 7:26 pm

First images:

Already love the design of the "soul" characters, they're so cute! Little sass in that last character? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 24th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Although distinctly related to the emotions of Inside Out, which doesn’t really help it feel "original"...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 24th, 2019, 9:59 pm

The human guy is cute, but the...whatever they are...remind me too much of the Glow-Worms 80s toys/cartoon.

But the setting or “city” (I guess) looks AMAZING! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 24th, 2019, 10:08 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 9:59 pm
The human guy is cute, but the...whatever they are...remind me too much of the Glow-Worms 80s toys/cartoon.
They're Souls--hence the punny title with Jamie Foxx's jazz musician--as Foxx get's Coco'ed after a near-death experience.

(So...not the buddy-cop guardian angels, then, or was that an earlier script that got Good Dinosaur'ed, and they end up as supporting gag characters?)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 25th, 2019, 11:27 am

I saw the presentation yesterday, and my sense is this could be one of the great Pixar films. Onward initially felt more like the Good Dinosaur to Soul's Inside Out, but some scenes we saw began to indicate that Onward could be a real heart-tugger, too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 7th, 2019, 4:22 pm

Plot info:

The main character is Joe Gardner, a middle school band director with a love of jazz. He dreams of playing at the Half Note, New York’s prestigious jazz club. Then, after 20 years of trying, he gets his wish. In a trailer, we see him emerge from a subway and rehearse on the piano at the club. When he nabs the gig, he’s beaming, and walking back down the city street ... where he falls down a manhole and dies. His soul separates from his body and goes to the great beyond.

The film revolves around You Seminar, a otherworldly location where souls are trained with quirks, abilities, and interests. “All the things that make you, you,” Doctor said at the presentation. Once ready, the souls graduate from You Seminar.

Joe is of the new souls at You Seminar. There, he meets a soul named 22 who thinks Earth sucks, and has remained at You Seminar for a hundred years. His journey with 22 will “make him think about what it means to have a soul.”
Man, tough break for Joe!

So the sassy character is named 22, huh? How very Stonecutters-y... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 6th, 2019, 2:19 pm

New info and image:

22 is a girl!? Whoa!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 7th, 2019, 2:19 pm

Teaser trailer:

I liked it. What we see of our world looks beautiful. Pixar is likely saving a grander look at the great beyond for next time.

I'm not really soul'd ( ;) ) on Jamie Foxx's voice. Doesn't really blend with Joe's design. Shame this wasn't Sterling K.'s animation break, think he would've been perfect.

Tina Fey's character, 22, looks cute. Feels a little uninspired at the moment. That whole "cowboy dance" bit I feel like I've seen a dozen times. Not really funny.

Still, I'm intrigued and interested to see more.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 8th, 2019, 3:01 am

Daniel wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 2:19 pm
Tina Fey's character, 22, looks cute. Feels a little uninspired at the moment. That whole "cowboy dance" bit I feel like I've seen a dozen times. Not really funny.
Not only had I felt like I'd seen it, I felt like I knew who I'd seen it with:
Tina Fey being one of the new 00's-10's female comics who believe that being annoying is the rich comic satire of female comedy, the gag looked like Pixar had just swapped out Ellen DeGeneres for another name female comic, and fell back on the frustratingly semi-helpful Dory trope whenever they need a comic sidekick.

Me, I didn't warm to "Finding Dory", and thought the replacement-Dory they stuck Lightning McQueen with in "Cars 3" wasn't up to the job either, but I'm sure Pixar will get the gushy feels-turnaround moment by the end of this one as they usually do.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » November 8th, 2019, 3:01 am

I think this looks really good. I am very interested in the concept of souls in real life so this movie's take on them intrigues me. I think Jamie Foxx's voice fits the character well. I thought Tina Fey's part was cute. When have you seen someone do that dance before?!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 8th, 2019, 3:41 pm

I believe it was a commercial of Teen Titans Go featuring Beast Boy. That's what first came to mind. I'm also reminded of a few dances Stewie has done on Family Guy. Not much really, guess it just feels like more what with that Drake car dancing trend and Fortnite.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 8th, 2019, 6:41 pm

Daniel wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 3:41 pm
I believe it was a commercial of Teen Titans Go featuring Beast Boy. That's what first came to mind. I'm also reminded of a few dances Stewie has done on Family Guy. Not much really, guess it just feels like more what with that Drake car dancing trend and Fortnite.
Either that, or a Gangnam Style joke past date...If it'd been a Sony or DreamWorks movie, I'd be sure of it.