The Small One

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Small One

Post by mr. squarepants » December 4th, 2004, 3:03 pm

Could someone tell me if the absolutely delightful short The Small One will be coming on Disney Channel this Christmas? It used to come on every year, a few years ago. Last year, however, as far as I know, it did not air.

I wish The Small One would come out on DVD. It's sad that this short film, which Disney once hailed as "destined to become a holiday classic" (see this poster: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078281/posters), has been mostly forgotten. In my opinion, it may be Don Bluth's best work.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 4th, 2004, 5:39 pm

Small One IS Bluth's best work...easily, though NIMH is a very close second.

I play Small One before our big feature every Christmas in our home theater, and it gets me EVERY time.

Waterworks city when the boy sends Small One off with Jospeh, and there's that moment when he stops, turns around and waves Small One off - even though the donkey and Joseph can't see him!

It's touches like that which make it a wondeful little film, sadly overlooked by Disney. It's seen a VHS or three, plus a hard to find LaserDisc, but if you're needing a "fix", it is out on region 2 DVD in a very nice print, and complete with main titles and end credits:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 97-7710844

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » December 4th, 2004, 7:40 pm

I hope The Small One is released on R1 DVD soon as well.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » December 4th, 2004, 7:42 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the UK DVD, Ben!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 5th, 2004, 5:00 am

Zero problemo, Mr SP.

MickeyA - you should check it out too! ;)