Post by Ben » April 28th, 2019, 4:43 am

On that side of the pond: persnickety.

On this side: pernickety.

But who's (s)nitpicking now...? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Post by Daniel » April 29th, 2019, 7:29 pm

Floyd Norman weighs in. Very interesting read and well put.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 29th, 2019, 8:20 pm

I expect nothing less from Mr. Fun..!

Here's hoping there's someone at Disney+ who will listen.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » May 1st, 2019, 8:33 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 1st, 2019, 11:49 pm

OK, now that sounds like it has potential.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 24th, 2019, 1:28 pm

Not one but two Muppet projects being developed. Muppets Live Another Day. Nice! Just hope it's an improvement over the last series...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 3rd, 2019, 6:08 am

Looks like one of the 'outtakes' from Toy Story 2 has been scrubbed from its latest home video release .. both on disc & digital downloads and (presumably) streaming.

All things considered, though .. this was probably the right call. :|

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 4th, 2019, 12:32 am

Yeah, I can't say that I'm too upset about that one. That outtake was kinda cringey to start with. And we likely all have the DVDs or Blu-rays with it anyhow.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 4th, 2019, 1:20 am

Censorship is censorship. And this, just like the crows in Dumbo, is something that's been available on every release for nearly 15 years now....which as far as I'm concerned does no one any favors, as parents will have to tell curious kids why these scenes aren't the movies anymore.

Regardless of whether or not the joke would "fly now" is beside the point (though for what it's worth, it didn't impact the film's G rating, so there is that). This is setting up a very dangerous game for Disney to play with their library. I can hardly wait for when Peter Pan is released on the service and is about thirty minutes shorter.

At the end of the day, you gotta let Itchy and Scratchy exist, whether you like them or not. Or at least that's my two cents. This is essentially Disney trying to "cleanse their slate" as though their movies were always this way. :roll:

But you know what you do about older jokes that you probably wouldn't put in family entertainment today? You don't put them in the family entertainment you make today. Otherwise we can all get excited for Animaniacs removing the "finger prints" joke down the road.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 4th, 2019, 5:07 am

I don’t think that "curious kids" are going to notice that an outtake is missing from the credits of Toy Story 2...if they even stick around for credits nowadays (or, lets be honest, are even still watching Toy Story 2 anymore). They’re not even going to see it’s been cut, let alone put the film in the player to begin with.

BUT...I do agree with Dacey. Any film is of its time, and creative decisions that were made and deemed acceptable or funny then should be seen as such and retained.

Yes, it’s a joke that would no longer work or be included today, but as a historical document, it’s showing us not only what was acceptable at the time but what the culture was (and actually still is, unfortunately), like too.

And for all those that say "oh no, you can’t have that in a film", well, I’m betting you laughed right along with the rest of us, which means you recognised the behavior and makes you complicit in the situation.

After all, no-one complained at the time, and Stinky Pete didn’t even make good on his promise to the Barbies! Unlike most offenders, he did get his comeuppance though, ironically by *not* returning in Toy Story 3. I hear he was last sighted trying to get cast over at Skydance Animation...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 4th, 2019, 3:23 pm

Yeah, I agree wholeheartedly. I’d completely forgotten about that outtake, and when re-watching the clip just now, it actually seemed much tamer than it did when I read its description in the article. Definitely not suitable material for a contemporary joke, but not in any way a candidate for out-right removal.

The unpleasant/inconvenient truth is that the image of the “sleazy Hollywood producer” is a VERY time-honored one (Futurama did it in season 1, “Hell is other Robots”) and has existed for decades now (a little like that tired “fast-talking Hollywood executive” guy from Bolt).

Animation art in general, from its inception, has always had “innuendo” filled moments, mostly because...it was made by adults! And very often FOR adults. So are we now required to go through every megabyte/ink and paint frame per second to make sure there’s nothing there that could potentially offend anyone, now or in the future? There wouldn’t be anything left! :?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 5th, 2019, 1:15 am

First of all, I don't agree with the term "censorship." A corporate entity deciding of its own accord to alter a product that it owns is not "censorship." It might be foolish and unnecessary meddling in the presumed interest of assuring greater acceptance and marketability, but it's not censorship. It's a business decision, plain and simple, though it may be framed as enlightenment.

Secondly, this is way different than the crows in Dumbo. Removing the crows WAS DUMB, and ruins the story. Removing an outtake does nothing to diminish the actual film.

Generally, I agree that a film should be left alone once it has enjoyed its theatrical release. However, in the spirit of choosing one's battles, I can't get too worked up over this one. Considering that ol' sleazy Lasseter oversaw Toy Story 2, I can't really blame Dis for deciding to take out that outtake, even if it seems tame (and lampoons reality). Having said that, I'm of course glad to have the original version on Blu-ray, where no one can touch it!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 5th, 2019, 3:38 am

I would rather have the original blue castle logo and music back on TS and TS2...I hate how the music scoring on the first film has been meddled with...it doesn’t even begin with a fade-in on the opening note, just an amateur cut so that they can insert the Pixar logo (that was never there in 1995).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 28th, 2019, 1:29 pm

Disney+ will be available as an add-on with Hulu. If they offer a discount for bundling, that's nice for current subscribers. Keyword "if". ;)