And the person who is rebooting The Flinstones is....

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: And the person who is rebooting The Flinstones is....

Post by Daniel » July 14th, 2019, 4:47 pm

Looks like the concept is being visited again. Brownstone - how appropriate. ;)

Let's see if it becomes tangible this time around. I still wish, at the very least, Seth MacFarlane's pilot would be released. I'm a huge fan of his, so would've like to have seen his take. Yeah, we have cutaways from Family Guy, but it's not quite the same. Just to get a better idea how he would've gone about the whole adult vision. Probably not good since it was passed on, and likely mean-spirited. Still.. "what if".

Back to this new series, of course I'm intrigued. I love The Flintstones and appreciate everything that came after. I see them touting "adult comedy"... depends how far they'll go. While the original skew adult jokes and the like, it was still very much a family show. (probably more so after the introduction of Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm) The spin-offs, well...

Hopefully the staff approaches this with care and respect. Do research to see what worked and put their own spin on things to not look outdated.

Would be nice if this airs on the telly, but chances are it will land on HBO Max; Yet another streaming service, whoopee. :roll:

Oh, and I very much agree with what Danny wrote in the comments. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 14th, 2019, 5:37 pm

This talk of being "adult" may just be to get people's attention. The old show could be considered "adult" in its own way, as it was somewhat subversive and certainly did its share of satire.

The new show has a lot of development to go, so well see what develops.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 14th, 2019, 6:13 pm

I would be very curious to watch MacFarlane's pilot. He's a big HB fan, and I don't think he would've made it into "another Family Guy."

From what I gathered, he was trying to do something more or less true to the original, so at most I think it would've been Simpsons-level "adult" humor, even it even had that.

Of course, it's highly unlikely it will ever see the light of day--especially with a reboot moving forward again--but in any case I don't think we'll ever see The Flintstones become like South Park or even Rick & Morty in terms of "grown up" jokes.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 14th, 2019, 7:15 pm

To add, Seth also had history at Hanna-Barbera. Don't believe this was posted originally:

Sneak peak at what could've been.. from that, you can clearly tell he respects it. However, in a semi-recent reddit AMA he wrote "Honestly I couldn't figure out a way to find enough differentiation between a modern-day Fred Flintstone and... Peter Griffin" So yeah... :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 14th, 2019, 9:51 pm

Daniel wrote:
July 14th, 2019, 4:47 pm
Yeah, we have cutaways from Family Guy, but it's not quite the same. Just to get a better idea how he would've gone about the whole adult vision. Probably not good since it was passed on, and likely mean-spirited.
However, in a semi-recent reddit AMA he wrote "Honestly I couldn't figure out a way to find enough differentiation between a modern-day Fred Flintstone and... Peter Griffin"
Yeah, and Matt Groening tried to throw Fred-Flintstone jokes about Homer Simpson (like naming the belching bar-buddy "Barney Grumble") because he also had a prime-time family-man cartoon, but I can think of one big differentiation:
Since Fred was "supposed" to be a blustery, teddy-bear, big-dreaming Jackie Gleason from The Honeymooners, he, like Ralph Kramden, at least possessed sufficient human intelligence capable of making intentional wisecracks and jokes under his OWN power, and enjoying his job, his wife, his lodge and his bowling tournaments in a big way that fit him.
Rather than the cynical/atheist voyeurism of watching the main Fat Dumb Protagonist bray dopey brain-dead things we're supposed to appreciate as what symbols of The Dopey Brain-Dead Common Man Groening and MacFarlane intended them to be.
Daniel wrote:
July 14th, 2019, 7:15 pm
To add, Seth also had history at Hanna-Barbera.
So did John Kricsfalusi, but he didn't have much luck rebooting the Flints either.

Meanwhile, The Person Who Is Rebooting The Flintstones Is...also the person who singlehandedly wants to help Sony reboot "Charlie's Angels" for the movies (and, writing herself in as nerdy Bosley, three guesses why she wanted to play her), who also seems to want to singlehandedly help Warner with their need to reboot the H-B brandname at all costs.
There's a WORD for the type of Hollywood person who does projects like these, but using them about a female actress/producer might accidentally come off as tasteless. :roll:

(And be honest, my first reaction was "Didn't Elizabeth Banks already play Wilma in the 90's movie?...Oh, wait, that was Elizabeth Perkins." Frankly, I don't know what Banks IS known for, apart from playing Effie Klinker in the "Hunger Games" movies.)
Last edited by EricJ on July 15th, 2019, 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 15th, 2019, 1:11 am

"Hey Brian, want to get the rock out of here?"

"Rock yeah!"

My favorite moment in the Multiverse ep. :wink:

I really hope this pans out! Macfarlane is just so good at honoring "old stuff" while pointing out its flaws in an accurate but respectful way. (Loved those Vaudeville piano players from early on, and the "Fast talking, high trousers" late-night film from Petergeist! Ha. :)

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 15th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Keep up yous, MacFarlane has no ties with the new series. ;)
EricJ wrote:
July 14th, 2019, 9:51 pm
(like naming the belching bar-buddy "Barney Grumble")
Gumble, no r.
EricJ wrote:
July 14th, 2019, 9:51 pm
(Frankly, I don't know what Banks IS known for, apart from playing Effie Klinker in the "Hunger Games" movies.)
And Rita Repulsa in that Power Rangers reboot. Although that's probably best left forgotten...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 20th, 2019, 4:22 pm

The Flintstones is coming to MeTV! Brilliant! Oh yea, I'm stoked! :D Can't believe it's happening. They did a good job of teasing... they played their usual commercials and would have them break up static like to reveal Flints. They even had Dino literally run across the bottom of the screen, so cute!

The channel is great at playing shows in chronological order, so that's a plus. Will be nice to see Flintstones on the telly again. It's been a while since it last aired on Boomerang. (feels like forever!) What a fitting day to start too. Can't wait!