Star Trek

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Re: J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek"

Post by Dacey » July 21st, 2019, 5:06 pm

*dies*

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 22nd, 2019, 4:21 am

Unavailable, obviously. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 22nd, 2019, 9:11 am

Hope this works for you Ben!

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 14386.html

EDIT: Oh ****, just realized that was the US edition. I don’t know if it would work for the UK one. Ugh, I’m sorry. :(
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 22nd, 2019, 3:48 pm

OK found another one!! I hope it works! :)

https://inews.co.uk/culture/television/ ... ast-video/
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 22nd, 2019, 4:27 pm

Don’t worry Vi! Thanks anyway, but YouTube is our friend. Pretty quickly it had been shared around and a version was easy to find. And then someone sent me the official UK link, where it looks like Amazon Prime has nabbed it for over here (we don’t have CBS Access; Discovery here is on Netflix...confusing!).

This looks very cool...might be the first show I get into in a while, and the first Trek for me since, really, the end of Voyager and DS9...! :shock:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 22nd, 2019, 5:24 pm

Ben wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 4:27 pm
This looks very cool...might be the first show I get into in a while, and the first Trek for me since, really, the end of Voyager and DS9...! :shock:
"Enterprise" wasn't actually that bad, and could have been a lot worse without the Quantum Leap Guy as captain--
Yes, the third season did a triple-somersault shark-jump with a double spin, but the fourth season overcompensated in fixing it, and finally became the series Trek fans wanted it to be. Too late to cure the terminal patient, but we have one entire season to dream with.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 22nd, 2019, 6:09 pm

Oh ok, glad you got to watch it Ben! :)

On the trailer: I was definitely blown away. So hard to wait until 2020 lol...Oh well. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 22nd, 2019, 6:30 pm

This story is actually from a few years ago, but I just had to post it. Patrick Stewart is nothing short of incredible.

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/See-Pat ... 67245.html

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 22nd, 2019, 11:37 pm

EricJ wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 5:24 pm
"Enterprise" wasn't actually that bad, and could have been a lot worse without the Quantum Leap Guy as captain--
Yes, the third season did a triple-somersault shark-jump with a double spin, but the fourth season overcompensated in fixing it, and finally became the series Trek fans wanted it to be. Too late to cure the terminal patient, but we have one entire season to dream with.
I actually just finished watching Season One of Enterprise, mostly for the first time (after bailing on it after a few epsiodes upon its intial broadcast). I have to say it holds up better now, in this era following the reboot and its Discovery spin-off, detached from the musings of why it looks so unlike the original series. Even co-creator/story editor Brannon Braga hated the first season overall (due to weak or not fully realized scripts, all of which he had to rewrite because his hired writers didn't understand Trek), but I found it pretty entertaining. I can certainly see it improving over the next few seasons.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 23rd, 2019, 4:44 pm

Randall wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 11:37 pm
I actually just finished watching Season One of Enterprise, mostly for the first time (after bailing on it after a few epsiodes upon its intial broadcast). I have to say it holds up better now, in this era following the reboot and its Discovery spin-off, detached from the musings of why it looks so unlike the original series. I can certainly see it improving over the next few seasons.
Fair warning: The third season tried to "modernize" the show by turning the episodic missions into chapters of one 00's style "Gripping binge-ready season-long serial arc" (as the crew has to boldly go and track down a 9/11-style attack on Earth), and it's a mess.
Depending on who you talk to--The more recent fans say "Oo, it's so cool and gripping!", the more longtime fans facepalm at the changes made to the regular characters to keep the arc going and live up to the hysterical grimness of 00's-serial shows.

The core fans must have won out, since Season Four scrapped the "cliffhanger" (and the endless Grandma's-trunk "Previously on..." openings that had to explain every blessed thing that happened since the beginning of the season), and compromised back to a more DS9 formula, giving us two and three-episode mini-arcs that help tie up some of the loose ends with TOS or TNG questions. Sort of like the Rogue One of Star Trek.
Last edited by EricJ on July 23rd, 2019, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 23rd, 2019, 6:05 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 6:30 pm
This story is actually from a few years ago, but I just had to post it. Patrick Stewart is nothing short of incredible.
https://www.cinemablend.com/new/See-Pat ... 67245.html
(But please tell me it was someone else's idea for the kid to wear the convention Spock ears...)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 24th, 2019, 12:50 pm

https://www.superherohype.com/tv/459411 ... rek-picard

I’m so excited!!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

MAJOR EDIT:

Oh...

Apparently it’s only on Prime internationally. For the US and Canada it’s CBS All Access or nothing. And no word about when this might change.

Can’t believe it. :cry: :cry: :cry:

(This plus the fact that even though Netflix PAYS for Discovery, it’s also only shown on CBS???!!! Ugh... :|)
Last edited by ShyViolet on July 24th, 2019, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 24th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Mr. Beyond Belief! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 24th, 2019, 1:21 pm

Yeah, he...rules. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 24th, 2019, 1:48 pm

"Surprise then disappointed" ;)

Oh, believe me I know... it sucks. I wouldn't want to pay for another streaming service for just one show. The new Twilight just went to Prime, no? So there might be hope yet.

This may be the wave of the future, but I'm staying on the beach!